Complete France Forum

New annual tax on cars?

woolybanana

My understanding is that there are discussions going on in Brussels to harmonise the taxation of diesel fuel across the EU, and thus set minimum levels of tax to be paid on diesel: states would be free to impose higher levels of taxation if they wish. AFAIK, there is no new tax on cars as such, just on fuel - in this case, diesel.

Guess who changed from a petrol to a diesel earlier this year? The last time I bought a diesel, within six months the price of diesel in the UK (which up to that point had been lower than that of petrol) jumped above the price of petrol and has stayed there ever since, aided by Uk governmental differential taxation.

Maybe this will signal the end of the stupid mark-up on diesel engined cars which the manufacturers impose.  I'm a petrol/oil-head but I don't know enough about the technicalities of building both types of block.  Does it really cost upwards of a thousand euros more to build diesel as opposed to petrol engines?

[quote user="woolybanana"]I have heard a rumour, but only that, of a new Europe wide tax on cars imposed by Brussels, beginning some time next year. On a typical Golf diesel it would amount to €600 odd per annum. The information could be wrong or distorted. Has anyone heard of it or got any more info, svp?[/quote]

Been talked about for years and discussed on the forum about two or three years ago. Basic idea is that all EU cars will have the same type of registration i.e. letters, numbers and letters. Next stage is to have (and where it is going) the same 'MOT' test with retests every two years. Driving licences and points system to be the same across the EU. Car tax system which is the bit they like about the UK and from where they nicked the idea, the more polluting your car is the more you pay. Eventually everything to do with motor driven vehicles will be centrally controlled by Brussels which will sit above (or over) sovereign states current system which will be modified to fit the general EU model.

Archived