Complete France Forum

R.I.P. Panasonic Bread Machine

Clair

We've found that the easiest way to make bread is to buy Lidl bread mix and mix it using a hand mixer. It's left to rise in a mixing bowl sat in a larger bowl which has hot water in it. Very quick, very easy and very little washing up.

We gave away the breadmaker.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote user="PaulT"]

Sorry to rekindle the sorry tale of Clairs dead bread maker............

Now that we are retired we shall be spending a lot more time in France. The nearest bakers is 10+ minutes away and something has happened to his bread, it is not as nice - although in 5.5 years his price for bread etc has not changed.

So should we get a bread maker?

Clair you went for theMoulinex, how is it?

Anyone else have a suggestion of which to go for?

We are not looking to make any special types of bread - just bread bread.

We normally have a bagette filled with something for lunch - if I am going to the bakers then it is also pain au chocolat for breakfast but perhaps that is not the healthiest start to the day.

Paul

[/quote]

Paul, I recommend a Panasonic.  We only have the basic model, not the all-singing, all-dancing, add-nuts-and-fruit one.

We had a 40 euro one from Netto and I wish I could find you the thread where I asked how you got the bread out after it was cooked.  I had some very funny answers (as you could imagine) including one from Erns (Ano) who suggested filling it with water and floating the bread out!

The Panasonic is vastly superior and a mere shake gets the bread out a treat.  Also, it only uses a teaspoon of dried yeast as opposed to a whole sachet for the Netto one (and the cost of dried yeast is higher than you'd think!)

I play around with different proportions of flour both white and wholemeal plus porridge oats and multi-céréal flour as well.  I have stopped using the bread mixes from Netto, Aldi and Lidl because they don't seem to work so well and I don't find the bread as tasty.

The breadmaker has been a godsend since the closure of our boulangerie (though I hear on the grapevine that a new boulanger might be in place soon).

Archived