Complete France Forum

Information on Kindle, svp

woolybanana

No I was being serious, because I have never even seen a Kindle.

I am Luddite on anything other than basic PCs  (ipads, tablets, mobile phones, 'apps' etc)

On my computer I can search for any text, and I can change the size of the letters, copy a section, insert it in a document, save it to my external hard drive etc.

I am also very comfortable  sitting in a chair with a screen  which I don't need to hold.

Now as I said I have never even seen a Kindle, and all those things may be possible with it, but I just don't know.

What I am basically asking is why I need a dedicated hardware device rather than just reading ebooks with software on my computer. (Calibre for example)

Amazon Fr kindles aren't on special offer but according to the amazon Uk website if I buy a UK one I may have problems with the functionality of certain aspects eg buying films which doesn't bother me.

If I was to get one from the UK, can I buy kindle books from amazon Uk whilst in France to be uploaded or more importantly can I get french books from Amazon Fr ?

[quote user="NormanH"]What I am basically asking is why I need a dedicated hardware device rather than just reading ebooks with software on my computer. (Calibre for example)

[/quote]My Kindle is much smaller and lighter than my smallest notepad computer so I find it handy to take it on journeys. Also has a much better battery life.

Norman, You can read ebooks on your pc, and there is a free Kindle application if you want to read books from Amazon (in mobi format). The drawback is having to sit at your computer to do this. The Kindle is small and light and very transportable (on a plane, for example) .

I've had one for just over 12 months and had no problems with reliability. Battery life is excellent, around 3 weeks for me, reading every day for an hour or so (but with the wi-fi turned off).

Tesco have recently had an offer on the standard Kindle which included a faux-leather cover for about £70, so it's worth watching out for further offers as the new version "paper white" starts to take over. The problems experienced in France are to do with where the Kindle is registered and where you can buy your books; the Amazon UK site has far better offers than the French site, but French registered Kindles can only buy from Amazon France. You need a UK address to register in UK. There are other threads on this forum explaining how people get around this restriction, needless to say it didn't work for me.

Ebooks are available form lots of other sources though and so far I've not found it a problem.

For me it's ease of reading that has me voting for a Kindle. I get a crick in my neck reading books on my laptop, because it's not just my eyes that move over the text, I have to turn my head to read every line.

Also I like to read in bed, easier with a kindle. However having one doesn't stop me from reading printed books.

Archived