Complete France Forum

Probably not something anyone can help with, but here goes!

YCCMB

About six months ago, my printer suddenly stopped working. No discernible reason, but overnight I started getting an error message "update required" whenever I tried to print. No amount of uninstalling/reinstalling drivers etc. did any good, and I'd always hated that printer anyway, so I decided I'd buy a new one. This time I opted for a Kodak one, as the ink is much cheaper. Brought it home, unpacked and installed the drivers from the enclosed disc, and all went well until the final stages when I got an error message saying that the installation had not been successful with an error code:  0x000003eb

Had Kodak support on the phone for a while, no joy. It's a microsoft error, it appears. I can get the printer "installed" as a scanner, but it won't install fully and isn't recognised as a printer.

All that was 6 months ago. Last week, I thought I'd try again. Still no joy. I've posted on the microsoft help forums - where the answer to everything seems to be "download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website". Well, I did that early on, and it changed nothing. Then, they send you off to try one of their "fixit" tools. No joy there, either. Naturally, it discovers that everything "Microsoft" is in perfect working order, so it's you or your printer that must be at fault. Microsoft issue? No, never, how could this be?

I've scoured the internet, and read about 1000 posts, forums and suggestions for fixes. Oddly, every one is different. Annoyingly, only about 1 in 10 ever seem to come back and say "Yes! it worked!" and VERY annoyingly most of them are written in Geek, a language of which I have only a tenuous grasp.

In the meantime, I managed to get my old HP printer to bend to my will, so I do have printing capabilities. I also have a nice new unused Kodak printer that won't work with my laptop.

In the unlikely event that there's anyone out there that can suggest a fix, I'm all ears and ready to be eternally grateful.

I should just add, I've tried all the most obvious things, and none have worked. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and the printer is a Kodak AIO esp 3.2 - but, frankly, that doesn't matter much as this error doesn't seem to be OS or printer-specific.

There would seem to be an option to reinstall Windows 7 - although I don't have the disc and it would be a huge PITA - so I'd rather find something easier if possible.

Problem has been around since Vista SP1 and has carried on it to W7. One thing for sure if you look at the just the error code it is nothing to do with the make of printer as the same error is reported on others like HP, Lexmark etc.

The problem is the method of 'sharing' printers. Since Vista SP1 Windows runs the printer side as a proper print server and that is where the problem lays, in the print server software.

Having read the Technet stuff on this Microsoft recommends two fixes. Add the printer manually via control panel and printers, create a new port, give it any name you want then tell it you have the driver on the disk (you could have a look on the disk with Windows Explorer and you should find a folder (directory if you like) called drivers) then browse the disk from Kodak down to the driver. The name of the driver will come on the screen as you search when it finds it. The other 'fix' is what you mentioned, re-instal windows. Usually the recovery information is hidden on a partition on the disk and you need to read the manual specific on how to recover your system. Some require you to run a program within windows to create a boot CD and others a USB memory stick and then follow the instructions.

Other than that as you say many seem to come up with a fix but when others try it does not seem to work. You're not alone either there are thousands of people asking how to fix this problem.

I pass on my commiserations to you. I've seen a few printer "funnies" over the last few years - including an HP all-in-one printer that would not print from MS Publisher, despite being willing to print from just about anything else. Finally resolved but damned annoying.

I suspect that I am teaching you to suck eggs here, but I have had to disconnect the printer, then cold reboot, remove all printer software, then cold reboot, then download the latest version of the printer software, then cold reboot, then mess about to ensure that the printer software was reinstalled with the printer disconnected (until the software asks for the printer to be connected) making sure to power the printer ON at the right time ... Looks straightforward now that I have written it out but it was a pain in the backside.

I presume that you have also tried reinstalling (as above) to connect via a different route (ie USB vs WiFi?).

[quote user="Quillan"]

Having read the Technet stuff on this Microsoft recommends two fixes. Add the printer manually via control panel and printers, create a new port, give it any name you want then tell it you have the driver on the disk (you could have a look on the disk with Windows Explorer and you should find a folder (directory if you like) called drivers) then browse the disk from Kodak down to the driver. The name of the driver will come on the screen as you search when it finds it. The other 'fix' is what you mentioned, re-instal windows. Usually the recovery information is hidden on a partition on the disk and you need to read the manual specific on how to recover your system. Some require you to run a program within windows to create a boot CD and others a USB memory stick and then follow the instructions.

[/quote]

Thanks Quillan. Tried the manual install - no joy. And to add insult to injury the drivers aren't automatically there within windows so I have to use the disc. I've mislaid that temporarily, so having another go is a bit hampered till I find it, as the drivers for my printer aren't among those automaticaly available in Windows......

It's looking increasingly like a reinstallation thing. Am actually thinking I might just go for Windows 8 and see what happens.

Something similar is happening with my step sons laptop, but with his I cannot get it to connect to the internet. Everything is showing it is connected, but it isn't. Tried everything, reinstall drivers, new drivers, resetting router etc etc etc.

Did a virus scan which brought up some nasties, but now I have backed all his stuff up and going for a cold reinstall. Wasted 5 hours on it as it is, so it's getting wiped and he can reinstall everything again.

Sometimes, things with computers get so tangled up, that although there probably is a logical explanation at the end of the day, going back to the original install is the better option.

By the way, Windows 8 is pretty good if you do decide to go for it. But I still use the system in desktop mode, so the tile part really doesn't get much of a look in in my opinion. You're probably better off with win 7. Save your money.

Before you go to Windows 8, if you can, try Windows 7 Ultimate. I had the same problem with Vista and an Epson Printer. Upgraded to the Ultimate version and the problem went away. If you know someone with Ultimate already installed on their computer they may let you try to install.

Did you 'uninstall' everything (via the control panel) to do with the Epson first before reinstalling it? You need to check that the driver files have also been deleted because sometimes they stay behind and when you reinstall the printer it picks up those rather than the ones on the CD. I would also try turning off User Account Control (via Control Panel / Security).

I wouldn't personally touch Windows 8 at the moment. There will be an upgrade to W8 to give you back the 'Start' button and make it feel more like W7 but I read you will have to pay for the upgrade, it won't be released as a Service Pack.

Sometimes these things are difficult to fix remotely and a visit to a shop is required, perhaps the one you bought the printer from?

[quote user="Quillan"]

Sometimes these things are difficult to fix remotely and a visit to a shop is required, perhaps the one you bought the printer from?

[/quote]

Argos? [:D]

Assume the rest isn't directed at me.....I've been at this off and on for six months, so I've done all the obvious things - several times. [:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Did you 'uninstall' everything (via the control panel) to do with the Epson first before reinstalling it? You need to check that the driver files have also been deleted because sometimes they stay behind and when you reinstall the printer it picks up those rather than the ones on the CD. I would also try turning off User Account Control (via Control Panel / Security).

I wouldn't personally touch Windows 8 at the moment. There will be an upgrade to W8 to give you back the 'Start' button and make it feel more like W7 but I read you will have to pay for the upgrade, it won't be released as a Service Pack.

[/quote]

I'm finding it ok. I don't miss the start button either. Most of the programs I use 99% of the time are pinned to the taskbar anyway. If I need another program on my hd, I simply press the windows button which takes me to tile mode and then beginning typing the name of the program I want, and it comes up.

Really don't need the start button anymore. It's far quicker than having to go through the start menu system to locate the program.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

Argos? [:D]

Assume the rest isn't directed at me.....I've been at this off and on for six months, so I've done all the obvious things - several times. [:D]
[/quote]

Oh dear, have you somewhere like a PC World near you or another computer shop?

Sorry but you have to ask some questions sometimes even though they are blatantly obvious. I remember an engineer who got his ear bash over the phone when he asked if the person had actually switched their monitor on "I'm not that bloody stupid" was the reply. After a 90 minutes drive arrived on site followed the power cord back and it wasn’t even plugged in and that was the only problem, of course no appology. Not that I am implying your that type of person, you just can't take peoples knowledge for granted hence the basic questions.

[quote user="Quillan"]I wouldn't personally touch Windows 8 at the moment. There will be an upgrade to W8 to give you back the 'Start' button and make it feel more like W7 but I read you will have to pay for the upgrade, it won't be released as a Service Pack.

[/quote]

Windows 8.1 WILL be a FREE upgrade to those who have a legitimate version of Windows 8, expected to be available for download from Microsoft in October. It has just been pre-released to computer manufacturers.

Unfortunately it appears that the 'Start' button will not be anything like the old Windows 7 Start. I use 'Start8' from a software company called Stardock, which is the Windows 7 Start Button/Menu and highly customisable. It also allows (if you want) to boot straight to the desktop, so you do not have to go to the new look start page. It will also work with Windows 8.1. There are also a few other Win8 start menu software available.

Archived