Complete France Forum

Channel 4 to Broadcast Muslim call to prayer

Frederick

Is this a publicity stunt by Channel 4 ?  They must know its going to give them plenty .

"A nationwide Tannoy System during Ramadan "

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/channel-4-to-provoke-viewers-who-associate-islam-with-terrorism-with-live-call-to-prayer-during-ramadan-8682121.html

I read this in another paper today and quite frankly who cares?

What I can see happening is that members of other religious faiths, Catholic, Christian, Jews, Sikhs etc complain because they also have major religious ceremonies where believers are called to pray so why are they not catered for? I can see them possibly even taking legal action because after all what is good for one is good for another and why should they be discriminated against. With respect to Muslims I am sorry but all in all it's rather stupid when you think about it.

But wouldn't you have to have the TV on all the time or you would miss the calls.Or maybe you set your alarm to remind you to switch the TV on-in which case why not just cut out the middle man and set the alarm to remind you to pray???

Q,

I believe it is the very early morning prayer. Maybe I should set my VCR to record it. I was trying to think of anythig I watch on 4 any more. After all, there is Thought For The Day on Radio 4 and Songs of Praise on BBC 1 on Sunday. Some time ago, I complained about the 'lowering of the religious tone' on Songs of Praise and got a reply saying that it wasn't meant to be a religious program.

David

LOL Pommier. 

I'm with Wooly, when I've experienced it, on holiday for example, its a beautifully restful sound.

Wonder how we'd feel if the Iranian or Arabic stations broadcast the morning service for Christians.

'' when I've experienced it, on holiday for example, its a beautifully restful sound.''

It certainly isn't when you live within earshot of a mosque and are subjected to the call to prayer five times a day - everyday. With increased volume on Fridays plus an hour long haranguing session at Friday lunchtime.

[quote user="powerdesal"]'' when I've experienced it, on holiday for example, its a beautifully restful sound.''

It certainly isn't when you live within earshot of a mosque and are subjected to the call to prayer five times a day - everyday. With increased volume on Fridays plus an hour long haranguing session at Friday lunchtime.[/quote]

It's enough to drive you to drink!

I recall that Songs of Praise could be excruciating as well, for me anyway.

I'm quite deaf now so the sound doesn't irritate me as much as the faces of the smug holies in their Sunday best, demonstrating to one and all what good people they are.

To mark Iftar ( the end of the fasting day - at sundown ) it was / is the practice in the UAE to have field guns sited at various spots and firing a blank round.

That was the signal for an OTT feasting session.

Perhaps the RHA could be used in a similar way in the Islamic State of Englandistan.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I recall that Songs of Praise could be excruciating as well, for me anyway.

I'm quite deaf now so the sound doesn't irritate me as much as the faces of the smug holies in their Sunday best, demonstrating to one and all what good people they are.[/quote]

And the following week when the cameras aren't there, the place is empty!

Lion,

Songs of Praise was in St Albans Cathedral a few years ago and the place was full. Of course, tickets were given to other churches in the area as well as regular Cathedral attenders. The Cathedral is nearly full every Sunday.

I heard a cameraman say that they had to be careful how long they linger on cute young women during the filming of Songs Of Praise.

David

pd,

If you are referring to me, no I haven't been a regular churchgoer since I moved frm the US to GB nearly 30 years ago, and I only attended then (Evangelical Quaker) to qualify to play for the church softball team (pitcher). I'd heard enough sermons to last a lifetime.

I was talking to a member of the Cathedral staff at the pub with a group of men who meet there occasionally, and told him that I only 'attnded' the Cathedral to help move chairs once in a while to clear the nave for certain occasions. He told me that that was my ministry.

David

How is religion perceived in France? Do you find it a private affair, or are people who are religious open about it? I didn't have a lot of experience with it there, didn't know anyone who was religious. The government seems very active in suppressing it there and keeping it out of the limelight, and I expected the same in the US, but their brand of secularism seems a little different.

Archived