Complete France Forum

Solve My Pond Problem

loghutemina

Thanks for helping me...

I have a pond of about 8000 ltrs volume which contains 3 kois and 2gold fishes and free from any acquatic plants.I regularly clean the water and i use UV Filter of  Bioforce 4500uvc(1351) model of hozelock brand and I run the pump at night....

Please help me...I am fearful for my fishes..

Ok Loghutemina,

Algae grows because of light and nutrients, you need a pond test kit to test for phosphates, nitrates and nitrites, oxygen saturation level and ammonia (very dangerous to your fish)  You have no plants and some plants will lower your nitrate/nitrite and ammonia levels and create areas of shade for the fish and areas where algae doesn't grow.  If the water is nutrient rich and you only run the pump for a few hours over night then you are not doing enough hours for all of the water to pass through the little UV chamber to be treated.  If the algae is in the form of blanket weed then you need to remove that manually with a net as it won't ever go through the UV chamber so it will just keep multiplying.  Most of all, is the UV lamp working?  These do fail and need replacement.

Your Bioforce filter/UV is almost at maximum for the size of your pond and doesn't filter fine enough to remove a lot of the particles and the biological filtration works better in summer than this time of year.  If your pump can handle it I would suggest a zeolite filter be added to your setup, this will remove the ammonia and filter out far more at this time of year than a biological filter.  What is the water temperature?

Do you have an air stone to introduce oxygen into the water/filter?  Biological filters won't work without oxygen so cannot process nitrates/ nitrites and ammonia

In any event, run your pump for a lot longer and during the day, most Koi people run 24/7

Hmm, the world always wants instant this and that, started with instant coffee, horrible stuff.

If you want instant, then remove your fish to an isolation tank and add 500 ml of 9.6% brico bleach and don't run the pump just stir by hand.  Down at the pet shop/fish and pond dealers get some dechlorinator  (sodium thiosulphate)  and once the algae is dead treat the water to dechlorinate and adjust the pH

Adding a weak copper algaecide will also help.  Barley straw is too slow and is only a slow release of  hydrogen peroxide anyway and you can dose that in small amounts without affecting the fish, it's hair bleach, not chlorine bleach.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived