Complete France Forum

Tragedy

Gardian

Our elder son & DIL live in the Thames Valley.  Early thirties neighbours - delightful couple who we've met on several occasions.

We've just heard this evening that, after some apparent marriage difficulties, he committed suicide sometime in the last day or so.

Our son feeling very guilty, having been in email contact with him and suggesting "a pint to talk things over".

Sorry ................. didn't want to introduce a really gloomy thing, but stay close to yours eh?    

About 20 years ago my boss in the UK committed suicide because he thought his business was failing and he couldn't face telling his family and his employees (it was a small company and we all knew each other pretty well)..

At the time we all felt terribly guilty as if it had somehow been our fault and we should realised have done more to help him.

Now, looking back, I think he was a selfish barsteward who took the coward's way out and didn't care that he was leaving everyone else to feel bad and guilty and sort the mess out.

Sorry to speak ill of the deceased, and of course feel sorry for the distress and unhappiness he must have gone through before it came to that. But the guilt is all his.

RH"................

Its possible, but I don't think that its the same man.

Google 'Bucks Free Press' and you'll see something on there.

Marlow.

So, so sad. I didn't know him that well, but saw him socially at Christmas every year. At our age, there's always the expectation of losing a close friend, but never a 'youngster' who you knew. Sunday was quite a shock, but nothing as compared to those really close.

Son & DIL are as fine as anybody could be in the circs.

ET ........... I take no exception whatsoever to your observations. I guess that none of us can know how any individual might feel in a particular set of circumstances.

We'll never know, but I just wonder whether a certain celebrity's suicide last week, provided the catalyst?

I think guilt is a natural emotion in such circumstances, thinking "could we have done more? Why didn't we know how bad things were?". Unfortunately it's the people left behind who bear the greatest burden from now on. My sympathy, your son will have the "what if I'd done this .." scenario in his head for a while ...

Archived