Complete France Forum

google play - restrictions

osie

I have google play on a tablet for my kids.

I have noticed that movies and books can be searched with a sexual nature.

Does anyone know how to restrict such contect.

There is a kids app but I was hoping there would be a simple setting.... I found a configuration setting but it seems to only apply to apps and not movies and books.

Any thought...

Thanks in advance

Osie

I thought that would work too but it only does apps and not media... in fact the first page of books has adult pics on it...

'Realize again that in the Google Play store, this only filters apps, it

does not affect content in music, books, magazines, or movies and TV.'

There is no way to do this I am afraid and Google will not allow you to disable Play Store or delete it as it is part of the operating system in that it controls updates to all the Google apps.

You might try via the App Manager in setting to delete the cache for Play Store. The cache (in Android) contains things people who have used the device have looked for in the past so that Google can send things of the same type, basically somebody, with or without your knowledge, has searched for what you consider to be unsafe hence it keeps coming up with suggestions for similar material.

I didn't know about this until you mentioned it and I must admit it is a bit poor and Google should sort it out however trying to find ut how to complain is another matter.

[quote user="AnOther"]Google 'android tablet apps parental control' there seem to be many options.

For instance:

[url]http://internet-safety.yoursphere.com/2014/04/10-android-parental-control-apps[/url]
[/quote]

It stops the kids from 'using' the app (like searching in it or purchasing aplications), it does not stop themfrom starting the app and as Osie said some of these undisirable media offerings appear when Google Play is started.

Only trying to give some pointers, being as I don't have rugrats to control I'm not about to road test the software [blink]

If it were my problem I'd tie the little darlings hands behind their backs !

You could try blacklisting the Play Store in the router if it has the facility or if not perhaps channel the device's WiFi through a PC set up as a hotspot proxy with nanny software.

The kids would be lost without play store, so I dont want to disable it.  Just to restrict the search content.

I think it is in googles interest to not have this feature.

There appears to be some kiddies search engine apps that only allow apps that have been screened but I find that too restrictive and as ever there seam to be hard errors, reboots, crashes associated with them.

Sounds like no solution then, maybe you'd do better with Apple but that means a lot of expense to replace the little darlings Android devices with iPads.

Don't know why you say it would be in Googles interest though, they are interested in making money and their founding ethos of 'Do no evil' was abandoned years ago.

EDIT: Have you seen this;

[url]https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3175031?hl=en-GB[/url]

Archived