Complete France Forum

Kindles at bedtime may harm your health

NormanH

Well I had an original Kindle and I did have problems originally with it. I think I mentioned it on the forum a few years back and others said they had 'sleeping' problems initially. My complaint was that were as a book makes me sleepy the Kindle didn't. However time passed and I guess I got used to it after a few weeks and reading on the Kindle did make me sleepy again just like a book.

I have now moved on, first a Nexus 7 and now a Samsung 8" tablet both of which had/had Aldiko installed. I have the brightness on automatic so it is quit dim when the lights are off and I don't have a problem.

This has made me think a little, what about flat TV's of which the majority are backlite, surely they would have the same affect?

Books make you sleepy? IF I try and read a book in bed, which I do not do when my husband is there, as I think that that would be awful thing to do, but when he isn't, and IF I do, I am wide awake and get so hungry and my stomach rumbles and I have to get up and eat.

So I read in the living room and then go to bed, I think I don't feel hungry reading,when I am sat up properly?

I use CoolReader on my Nexus 7 and in that you can set the screen background to almost anything you want.

My sleep patterns were royally screwed long before eBooks were even conceived anyway !

Never forget that these sort of studies are brought to you by the same people who told us that butter was bad for us [:P]

Merry Christmas [B]

Both OH and I fall asleep as readily with Kindles as we do with books... the difference is, the Kindle hurts less when it falls on my nose. [:D]

I really have my doubts about the alleged dangers of Kindles as outlined in the article - if I'm using my Paperwhite when OH is asleep, I don't have a light on and the screen isn't very bright. When I read a book, I have a bright lamp shining down on the white(ish) pages of the book. How is the effect of a Kindle's light worse than a book + bedside lamp?

It's allegedly about the different types of light and although I accept

that there may be something too it I also believe it's overblown.

The article mentions that "over the last 50 years

there has been a reduction in the length and quality of sleep that the

average person gets each night" and I suggest that will be far more potentially detrimental to health than 15 minutes reading a eBook !

[quote user="woolybanana"]Cut out the wine at night and you will sleep better. Have a glass or two at midday and sleep well in the afternoon!![/quote]

You bananana you! Go wash yer mouf out, if banananas have moufs that is [8-)]

If you look at the spec for the Paperwhite you will see that the light that lights it is shining from the outside of the 'print' and not from the back of it, so it is the same as having a light shining over your shoulder, but a lot less of it and a LOT closer too.

My Kindle was one of the original unlit ones until it sadly died not long ago. I now have an ipad which I use for reading quite a lot, just as I did with my kindle. It has made no difference to my sleep, which was poor BK and AK, but I can't say what sort of lighting it may or may not have, as I have my bedside light on.

I was reading a novel on my ipad until about 02.00 today, then slept pretty well until after 06.00, so not a bad night really.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]I have f.lux loaded on both of our Macs and it helps me as I don't tend t readin bed, but I do spend time on our MacBook beforehand.

It can explain itself better than I can  https://justgetflux.com/

You can load it on allsorts of OSs too
[/quote]

Not android so it would seem, mainly Apple. However there are several available for Android and whilst I don't need it for reading I have installed something similar on my phone as it is also my radio alarm for the mornings but at night gives off this bluish hue which is quite annoying. Installed app and the problem is resolved.

Despite owning a Kindle, an iPad and other devices upon which to read books, and also owning many actual books (remember them??) I am still a firm advocate of the audiobook for bedtime "reading". No light required, no need to even keep my eyes open, someone else doing all the hard work, and I set the timer to stop my device after a certain period after having bookmarked the spot when I was last awake.

Since getting my kindle keyboard so that I could read when my cataracts started, I have continued to read most of my "reading" books via that method, even in bed, even though I can again read proper books (albeit needing reading glasses still!). .  Like GG, sometimes I sleeps well and sometimes I don't! .. When the kindle dies, even now having ipad, iphone etc (the latter perfect for planes and trains, so pocket sized!), I will revert to reading old fashioned books, not because of funny light stopping sleep etc, but because I have loads of real books to read, and I only use the ipad when travelling to read 'cos it saves taking all those books to keep me occupied.  I like the KK simply because it is not a backlit screen and I can read it outside.  That I cannot do in our sunny weather here with an ipad or equivalent so will return to books to read outside when the time comes to bury my KK.

Meanwhile - I love my KK, and will not replace it with a newer kindle 'cos them I do not like!

I would worry less about the potential sleep disruption from backlit reading devices than I would about the mealy-mouthed mentality of those that choose to deride ereaders as used by others.

So you don't wnat an ereader - don't get one. Plenty of people love 'em.

It's a bit like a child who gets in a huff if you don't like their favourite toy.

Get a life.

[quote user="JSKS"]I would worry less about the potential sleep disruption from backlit reading devices than I would about the mealy-mouthed mentality of those that choose to deride ereaders as used by others.

So you don't wnat an ereader - don't get one. Plenty of people love 'em.

It's a bit like a child who gets in a huff if you don't like their favourite toy.

Get a life.[/quote]

Having reread this entire thread, I cant find anywhere or anyone who has expressed an opinion which would have brought on this hissy fit. Perhaps the excitement of Christmas has made you a bit tetchy, JSKS.

I take it that you think a comment such 'Get a Life' adds something to the discussion, although it just reads like plain nastiness to me.

To remind you of the article:

"Sleep deficiency has been shown to increase the risk of cardiovascular

disease, metabolic diseases like obesity and diabetes, and cancer

"Thus, the melatonin suppression that we saw in this study among participants

when they were reading from the light-emitting e-reader concerns us."

I wouldn't call bringing this to people's attention  'getting in a huff', or 'mealy-mouthed'

Perhaps you are used to the ill manners of another Forum ?

Another comment comes to mind here?

"You pays yer money and you takes yer choice"

Another

"One mans' meat is another mans' poison"

It all comes down to what suits you. If you like 'em then they are great, if you don't then they ain't..

I seem to remember that eggs were amongst the worst things you could even walk past, then butter. And the axle grease called margarine was the best thing to put on sliced bread since bread was sliced. Hydrogenated fats. Great!! Until they found that the body didn't know what the hell to do with them? There's a list that would fill your Kindle of what's good and bad for you and it will all change on the morrow.

Even in the bible you can find every answer that you could ever wish for, or so I've been told. I don't read it, either on a Kindle or the paper thingy, so it's hearsay for me?