Complete France Forum

Thomas Cook

nomoss

Are you sorry to see this iconic British travel company in difficulty?

My wife used to be one of their most loyal adherents.

When we were leaving  Australia for Iran, she asked them to recommend a shipping agent.
The one they recommended shipped our household furniture and effects to Kuwait instead of Khorramshar, as that seemed close enough to them.
Unfortunately there was no traffic between the two ports, as the borders with Iraq were closed, and our stuff was there for a year before it was shipped on in a badly deteriorated condition, when our agents finally found it.

Next, we bought some of Thomas Cook's travellers' cheques, which no-one in N Africa would honour. We had to take them back to a bank in England to get our money back.

Finally, Mrs. nomoss still believed in them, and obtained the times for the ferry from France to Jersey through their London office.

Arriving at St Malo, in late September, we found that the ferry only operated in the summer, and the office there was not even open.

Adios Thomas Cook. We won't miss you. You've been sh*t for years.

[quote user="NormanH"]I remember their European railway timetable book with affection from my youth when I  had a Euro pass and took trains all over in the Summer...

[/quote]
INdeed, NOrmanH, I used it for reference many a time ...though I never travelled by train ...then ....  it was in the library where I worked !!  I can see it in my head even now!

[quote user="nomoss"]
Obviously they were good at doing simple things, but totally useless at anything more challenging[:(]

[/quote]

From what I have read it is all to do with the number of failing companies they took on board, the amount the managers took in bonuses, the fact that they ignored the financial reports warning of difficulties for many months, and in fact, over-reached themselves supporting an out of date retail model (high street shops vv online trading) when the retail trend to online was becoming more and more evident.  Not the only well known name to fall down misunderstanding the changing patterns of marketing and retailing.  Even John Lewis has seen some of those difficulties reflected in its profits, which says much for lack of foresight and the fast developing changes we are all seeing at the moment.

[quote user="Judith-aka-Judith"][quote user="nomoss"]
Obviously they were good at doing simple things, but totally useless at anything more challenging[:(]

[/quote]

From what I have read it is all to do with the number of failing companies they took on board, the amount the managers took in bonuses, the fact that they ignored the financial reports warning of difficulties for many months, and in fact, over-reached themselves supporting an out of date retail model (high street shops vv online trading) when the retail trend to online was becoming more and more evident.  Not the only well known name to fall down misunderstanding the changing patterns of marketing and retailing.  Even John Lewis has seen some of those difficulties reflected in its profits, which says much for lack of foresight and the fast developing changes we are all seeing at the moment.

[/quote]

Exactly[:)]