Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have done as requested.

I have read several pieces of Prevert and I look forward to hearing this.

Some of his poetry is a bit er "gritty" but it always says it like it is.  I always think he must have been a very sensitive sort.

Pat, the PM has been sent, I have checked![:)]

A wonderful, topical poem and it bears out what I already thought of Prevert; sensitive but no hiding behind vague words.  Reality, stark and unadorned.

I know the very person to send that to.........she'd really like it.

Thank you, Norman.

• 1 month later...
As a welcome change from election fever....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJ_JFi5vbk

Le doux silence de nos bois

n'est pas troublé que de la voix

des oiseaux que l'amour assemble:

Bergére, qui fais mes désirs

Voici le mois charmant des fleurs et des zéphirs.

Et la saison que te resemble.

Ne perdons pas un moment des beaux jours,

ne perdons pas un moment des beaux jours.

C'est le temps des plaisirs,

et des tendres amours.

(The pronunciation is deliberate..)

I have read somewhere, just in passing, that Christie is starting a new festival this summer.  But can't remember any more of the details.

Don't forget, Cardiff Singer starts this Monday[:D]

I found this old recording by chance, while listening to  Ella and Louis singing the songs from Porgy and Bess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2UkcpL9q_s&list=PL318D10315BFDA3C2&index=17

Amazing to hear Gershwin's voice, and to compare  the singers of the time (1935) with Ella and Louis. They were much more operatic, perfect diction etc. The singer who sang "My Man's Gone Now" was in another class.

Pity the last song, "Bess, You are my Woman now" was cut short, but shouldn't complain, lovely to hear those authentic recordings.

I have now caught up with the song competition.

I disagreed strongly with the two commentators about the Ukrainian baritone who didn't get anywhere but who was for me by far the best song performer.

The two women whom they praised so highly came over as non-communicative, not least because of their incapacity to express the languages they sang in by reason of the poor articulation/pronunciation of them.

The Poulenc was incomprehensible, and the German was wooden.

I have now seen the Finale, and the Purcell was well-done.

In fact she deserved to win as being one of the few to include any decent music in her programme (Purcell; Ravel; Schoenberg in the song Finale)

Rarely have I experienced such banality as in the choice of music in these two rounds.

Where was the Brahms, the Mozart, the Schubert, the Schumann ?

Apart from Monteverdi (unrepresented) anything composed by someone whose name ends with the letter 'i' is at best third rate...

I agree about the paucity of the choices and the Scottish girl was pulled up on her pronunciation by one of the commentators.  But I did love the Purcell.

So you didn't like the Bellinis, the Rossinis, etc?  OK...........For me it's a bit of a treat because there is so little music these days on TV and it's sometimes a case of anything not too banal is better than a total desert.

Innovative production as I'd expect from Aix.  I have never been there but I know musicians who have worked at the festival.

Have not had a chance to watch all of it but will certainly have time over the next week or so whilst the video is still disponible.

Watched Rigoletto on Arte a couple of nights ago and Gilda was enchanting.  It's not anywhere near being my favourite opera but some of the arias are memorable and eminently hummable.

Am PMing you tout de suite.  

The soprano who was the Gilda I have mentioned above:  her name is Nadine SIERRA.  Saw her again last night at the 14 July concert en direct from Paris.

She is really the "complete package".........voice, musicality, looks, ability to charm birds off trees.

Do google, stp.  All your messages read, understood and gratefully welcomed.

[quote user="NormanH"]This is lovely

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyHTCwvZiE&html5=1

On the other hand the clips of her singing Mozart are not so convincing. I think she is really a dramatic/romantic singer, at which she is very good..

[/quote]

One of my favourite songs and here is another Je veux vivre dans le reve..........ravishing.....

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQDrYXIISM[/url]

• 3 weeks later...