Complete France Forum

Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman, the ovation is, even as I write, overwhelming after Schiff played the Bartok No 3.

I have been to some Schiff concerts and I love the way he plays with so few "manerisms" and with such a sure and delicate touch.

Must go and listen some more, excuse me! 

They must be doing delayed broadcasts, Norman.

Just had to stop everything and listen to the Brahms' violin and cello.

It always reminds me of the time over 30 years ago when I was in hospital and OH brought me in the recording with Rostropovich and Perlman.  I played it over and over again and I knew I just had to live in order to hear some more music.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

They must be doing delayed broadcasts, Norman.

Just had to stop everything and listen to the Brahms' violin and cello.

It always reminds me of the time over 30 years ago when I was in hospital and OH brought me in the recording with Rostropovich and Perlman.  I played it over and over again and I knew I just had to live in order to hear some more music.

[/quote]

You can listen for up to 7 days on iPlayer

I bought some cheap computer speakers with a separate bass unit (about 45 Euros) which improve the sound on my computer enormously.

Not quite as good as quality HiFi, but a vast improvement on normal computer sound, and a great help for listening to the radio, watching TV or playing CDs on the computer.

As I am 'fauché' I use the computer for all these functions.

I bought some for 35 euros, Hercules, the sound is very good if the music was recorded at high definition. It has fooled listeners with very expensive sound systems.

I bought the same for the flat screen TV.

Thank you, Norman.  Unfortunately at the moment, iplayer is not an unqualified success. 

I was so looking forward to the de Victoria music but the sound came over twice, the second time fractionally after the first.  Do you remember years ago when you rang abroad (overseas) and you hear your own voice coming back as an echo?

Well, this was exactly like that!

Anyone got any thoughts on why there is this irritating phenomenon?

Have you got it open twice?

Or is it opening another programme and playing at the same time itself?

I have that sometimes when I use adsl.tv

I open  adsl and it also opens vlc player so I have the sound twice at slightly different times.

iPlayer on the radio works very well for me though, and the Victoria programme is a real delight

Christie has taken French citizenship, and has made his home in the Vendee.  He usually brings members of Les Arts Florissants to give a concert once a year in the ancient church of Mareuil, and was also behind the creation of the annual festival of baroque music at the Logis de la Chabotterie.

He has created a magnificent garden near Sainte Hermine, which can be visited during September.  Information here.

Angela

Angela, thank you for bringing this site to our attention.  I shall always be grateful to you!

Wish I'd known about this last year when we stayed in a gite not far from there in one of our househunting expeditions.

It will be a sublime experience, listening to music in that setting.

I'd only ever thought of les Arts Florissants as belonging to Paris.

Norman, did you listen this evening?

I made a point of it as I was introduced to Tamsin Little once in a restaurant in Twickenham.

I am not that familiar with the Elgar Violin Concerto but it was very well received.

And Londonderry Air unaccompanied was beautifully sung.