Complete France Forum

Capital Gains Tax

Woodchurchzoo

My understanding is that if you are fiscally resident in France, which is normally determined by whether ot not you have made a tax return in France, you should not have to pay capital gains tax on your principal residence. 

So even if you have no French income, it is still worth making a tax return if you live here, if only to establish your tax position. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I've been pondering this CGT problem for a couple of months now and I'm looking for a solution. I'm a UK national and will be selling my french property early next year, but I'm not actually registered as a French resident; because I've done a lot of travelling here and there and have never spent any real continuous time in France.

The property is my principle residence as I own no other property. I understand that avoiding CGT liability in my case rests on my proving I am a French resident. I read on another post that the determination of residency is whether or not you filed a tax return for the previous year. Is this correct, that they only look back to the previous year?

If this is so, this would be my solution. File a tax return for 2004 and sell the property in 2005 as the amount of tax I would pay on income would be far less than my potential CGT liability. Does this sound feasable?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Chandos

As the tax authorities are used to this kind of ruse, I would expect them to limit your tax free allowance to a percentage based on the period the property had beenn your prime residence , ie since you started submitting returns, divided by the period of total ownership. Thats certainly what the UK authorities would do for a UK property. But of course in their case, as a Brit, if you had no other property it would be much easier to prove,  by default, that it was your prime residence, assuming that you had been paying taxes in the UK.

Archived