Complete France Forum

Are we on the right track?

Jaonkm

Hi all,

My husband and I are soon to buy an apt. in Nice. We've done a lot of research (have viewed property there already and have a list of notaires). We would really appreciate any advice that forum readers may offer. Here's what we intend doing.

- We are in the process of getting our marriage cert. and 2 birth certs. translated into French.

-We are going to appoint an English speaking notaire to help with the process and also make a French will - changing our marriage regime to a communauté universelle. We don't have any children.

- We have talked to our mortgage provider here and they are willing to lend us c. 200,000 euros. We intend to buy an apt for 200,000.

-We will pay 10% deposit to the notaire and then upon signing of the final acte of purchase our mortgage company will forward the 200,000 to our notaire. He or she will pay the vendor the outstanding 180,000. Can he/she then on our instructions take his/her fees from the remaining 20,000 or will the full 200,000 be given to the vendor at this point and the deposit used to pay notaire's fees etc.

Are there other things that we are overlooking??

Any comments gratefully received.

Jane

[quote]Hi all, My husband and I are soon to buy an apt. in Nice. We've done a lot of research (have viewed property there already and have a list of notaires). We would really appreciate any advice that for...[/quote]

I would say don't bother getting the translations done, wait until you are in France and if asked for them to be translated, then have it done over here with an "official Translator" your Mairie will give you a list of them, it's not really necessary now that you don't have to have a Carte de Sejour for EU citizens, unless maybe you want to work here, then you may have to apply for a residents permit.

Although a lot of the books will tell you you need official translations of all documents, in practice this isn't the case any more in a lot of regions. So I agree - don't bother until somebody asks for translations.

The notaire and agency fees are normally taken, by the notaire, out of the final payment.

Archived