Complete France Forum

creating a garden pond

Lapaix

I dug out our pond about 4x5 metres over 2 years of occasional visits and 1 year here permanently. It was hard work, as much rocks as earth but the local Maire commented on how nice it looked when it was finished. Mind you, we are about 1KM from the local village and have about a hectare. I did ask the Maire about fitting roof lights (Velux type) and he said we didn't need permission for that.

Many thanks for the info.  You are certainly a braver man than I, Gungadin, digging it yourself.  We were thinking of hiring a digger.  Does anyone know if there are places who hire such things in the 50 departement.  Should I be posting this onto the gardening forum?

Normally you need permission for Velux windows! It is changing the facade of the building.

For some reason I am not seeing the names of the posters, but to the original poster, I would check with the Mairie if I were you. Just because the Maire of one commune says it's OK to do something, doesn't mean it's the same in your commune.

If your landscaping involves any structures i.e. greenhouses, sheds, summer house etc, you will need to apply for permission - the same permission that you need for adding new windows to your house. Can't remember what it is called, it's the permission that isn't planning permission.

Archived