Complete France Forum

French Rental agreement for English Tennants

Noisetieres

Hello

I have a tenancy agreement in English which I am thinking of using for an english couple wanting to rent my house for 1 year.  I have been told that this is not valid in France unless it is French.

Is this true and if so, can I just simply get it translated?

Please send reply to my email as I am at work today.

Thanks

Carla

That makes sense. They should sign a french agreement. Also it is for three years isn't it? that is how full tenancy agreements are made out here. I know that they say that they only want it for a year, but I have a feeling that the agreement should be made out for the three years. You need legal advice about this.

For short term lets (ie holiday rentals) commercial agreements deemed to have been made under English Law in England are entirely acceptable, provided that none of the terms included in them contravene French CRIMINAL law. These can be in English. For letting over a longer period (three years or one year for example) you may be able to apply the same principles, particularly if both you and your clients are resident in England at the time the agreement is made. However tenents in France have rights that are enshrined in law, so you would need to be very careful in drawing up your agreements.  TU is quite right - you need some quality legal advice before going down either route. Sent by email too.

Archived