Complete France Forum

Transferring data from adverts.archant.co.uk

Catalpa

Does anyone else (not on broadband) have to wait ridiculous amounts of time for the ads at the top of the page to load. Sometime LF is practically unusable for me as I wait so long to start a message response watching the blinking transferring data from adverts.archant.co.uk message that I lose the will to post. Which may be the intention, of course. [6]

I realise this forum is an advertising medium but I currently HATE the France Calendar 2007 and will burn any I see. That is not a good outcome to advertising exposure.

So "Cadeau Ho Ho" does not amuse you, Cassie? 

I can imagine it is a pain waiting for something to load that you don't want. [:(] 

I have a vague recollection that many years ago at the dawn of the Internet, it used to be possible to view pages without images, which made page loading much quicker, but I don't know how to do it or if it is still possible nowadays.

I don't know if this will help you, but by using Firefox rather than IE, I have been able to "filter out" unwanted ads and google lists by downloading a tool called Adblock.

By right-click on the unwanted item, I simply add the link to a "do not show me" list.

It disappears from the screen and remains out of sight for ever. It also enables me to use the full screen width to display messages.

[quote user="Clair"]I don't know if this will help you, but by using Firefox rather than IE, I have been able to "filter out" unwanted ads and google lists by downloading a tool called Adblock.

By right-click on the unwanted item, I simply add the link to a "do not show me" list.

It disappears from the screen and remains out of sight for ever. It also enables me to use the full screen width to display messages.

[/quote]

Blimey - you're right!  I didn't know about that in Firefox!  I don't know if I have ever downloaded Adblock (if I have then I've forgotten) but by right clicking on the advert I had an option to block all images from Archant Advertising.  I have not done that, of course, nor would I encourage anyone else to do so unless absolutely necessary.

[quote user="Cassis"]Blimey - you're right!  I didn't know about that in Firefox!  I don't know if I have ever downloaded Adblock (if I have then I've forgotten) but by right clicking on the advert I had an option to block all images from Archant Advertising.  I have not done that, of course, nor would I encourage anyone else to do so unless absolutely necessary.

[/quote]

If you use a wildcard (*) after the word 'ads' usually found inside the link, it filters out more unwanted items rather than the specific one you're (trying to avoid) looking at!!

[quote user="Megan le Fey"]Don't know if it will help but I have set the actual forum page in my favourites which means that I do not have to go through  the LF home page first. [/quote]

I go direct to the Active Topics selection so I even avoid the Forum main page unless I choose to load it. It's normally only when I try to post a reply that the forum "pauses" for silly amounts of time. I'm sure it's only a problem for people on dialup (if I get 28 kbps, it's a good day!) but many of us in rural France are still waiting for an affordable and reliable broadband option to arrive.

I do use Firefox and I think I do have the piece of software mentioned so thank you, Clair, for reminding me what I can do with it. [:D]

Archived