Complete France Forum

need to refresh each page of forum

Patf

Every time I access the forum it's stuck at the place I left it last time. I need to refresh every page individually. Other forums etc that I use don't have this problem. I've tried logging off and on again, entering by a different route etc. but am not internet -savvy so soon run out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Pat, are you saying that if you look at the forum at (let's say) 8 in the morning, then leave your browser open, and then pop back in for another look at midday, the view is the same as you left it.  With the last post at around 8?  And that you have to hit F5, or the refresh button, or something similar, to see the latest posts?

That's how it's always been for me too, I though that it was pretty much standard.  I don't visit, or know of any forums that refresh automatically.

Thanks Cat but no I don't leave my browser open . I close everything down then startup again next time. This forum, like others, used to update until recently - can't remember the intervening event, possibly a virus where we had to clear everything and re-install. And really, other forums update automatically when I close down and reopen. I though it may be something to do with the programme on my computer and that's why I originally put the question on French Satellite, TV, Internet etc . Pat.

Probably nothing to do with the forum but more to do with your ISP and routing on the Net.  Web pages are held on local cache servers all over the place (not on your PC) and depending on the size of the cache or the amount of traffic through it it may or may not refresh, just pure dumb luck.  If a cache has been upgraded so it can handle more traffic and hence be faster, it may not refresh for ages.  The simple way to refresh a page properly is to hold CONTROL while you click refresh (or F5).  This forces a refresh from the host server and not a cache.  It's what I do as a matter of course anyway

Ah, I see.  Yes, if you close down and re-open you really should be getting the latest view.  It sounds as if you're somehow getting a cached view instead.

Assuming you're using IE7, have you tried using the tools menu, Internet Options, General tab, browsing history, settings.  Are temporary internet files set to refresh every time you visit?

If that isn't it, the forum hasn't somehow found its way into your restricted sites has it?

If all else fails I would try deleting your cookies.