Complete France Forum

Drinking and Driving responsibility

Coral

Just heard on BBC World  that the couple that were accused of allowing their guest to drive drunk which resulted in an accident have been found not guilty.  A point was made that restaurants and bars may still be  held responsible.  Makes you wonder about the carafe of wine served up with dinner at a Chambre d'hote.

[quote]Just heard on BBC World that the couple that were accused of allowing their guest to drive drunk which resulted in an accident have been found not guilty. A point was made that restaurants and bars ...[/quote]

Eh Coral?

I'd like to see someone drive their car up our stairs after a meal in our chambres (table) d'hôtes !

People stay and eat with us , so as to avoid drinking and driving. 

Its a tough one to speak from the outside but there are two sides to every story. I don't think these people should be held responsible even though they knew their friend was dangerously drunk,after all, some drunks get very agressive and many don't even act drunk -they just fall asleep and many would argue that their civil liberties are being infringed by making them "prisoners".If I have someone round who is well over the limit, I offer for them to sleep on the floor or somewhere or I would take them home myself. At the end of the day, it's just not worth taking the risk where drinking and driving are concerned,the long term results can be ruinous for so many people.

According to the BBC in a later interview, the wife is disabled in a wheelchair due to a similar accident when she was 16. In the interview they showed it seems from my feeble translation that she and her husband tried to stop the driver but he hit her so they let him go.

What a horrible situation to be in. I completely agree with you Val but as parking in my place will be in the atelier which has a very sturdy metal door, I might be tempted to 'lose the key'!

Archived