Complete France Forum

Change to married name or not?

Inquisitive

Hi  Hoping someone may had some advice on this one.  My partner and I have just got married partly as a preparation for buying in France.  We should complete before the end of this year, and I still have a house to sell in the UK prior to moving (hopefully early next year).  Should I change my surname now, or am I likely to cause more problems than I solve?  I do realise that any property transactions in France will be in my maiden name anyway. I have been married previously and all records, bank, utilities, electoral reg. passport, etc. are in my previous married name. If I do start to change my records is there a best place to start -  bank first or utilities?  I don't want to find that because I'm on the electoral register as one name, I can't then perform transactions such as hiring a car in france, or raising temporary finance for example, in another.

Who would be a woman?!!

Claire

First of all, congratulations on your recent marriage!

I would advise you to make sure your documents show the correct name before you start buying in France. We had to provide copies of passport, utility bill and bank statement with name and address on in order to open a bank account. Also we had to provide 17 (yes 17!) documents each to get our mortgage!!!

The bank was confused enough because of middle name, they thought it was my maiden name and it confused the system and printed out all my details in the wrong name.

As for changing your name, well you must have done it at one point if all your stuff is in your previous married name, so you'll know how to go about it. But as a priority I'd start with your passport, bank and main utilities (ie gas/elec).

Hope this helps.

[quote]Hi Hoping someone may had some advice on this one. My partner and I have just got married partly as a preparation for buying in France. We should complete before the end of this year, and I still...[/quote]

Nearly all official and admin documents in France will primarily refer to your birth name, rather than any married name - thus it is more important that you have proof of this rather than any subsequent married names. Although in addition  I would recommend using your new married name as soon as possible. Remember that if you marry in the UK and move to life in France within 12 months  you are deemed to have been married in France as far as any legal issues concerning property, marriage type etc.

regs

Richard

Archived