Complete France Forum

Reply differences

Bugsy

[quote user="Bugbear"]On my Mac when replying to posts, I have no 'smileys' to choose from and I cannot quote (it just appears as goobledegook.

Is this normal ?[/quote]

It seems to depend on which browser you are using. Anything that's not Internet Explorer for PC seems a bit suspect, but if I remember correctly this forum runs under the '.net' system, unlike most other forums , and that's a Microsoft system, so it's hardly surprising. Having said that I opened Firefox in order to quote and reply, and that seems to work OK, though I don't think earlier versions did.

In all fairness, it's not only this site. Another Mac user has difficulties with things like accented characters on the more common php-based forums.

[;-)][:P][:-))]

Safari is definitely bad news for any poorly behaved sites. You'll probably be OK with Firefox. I know that Mrs IG had to change to to it when Microsoft 'improved' Hotmail.

I also seem to recollect having problems configuring a router via its browser interface until I switched to the old copy of IE for Mac that I keep for emergencies.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Mac, and I find that I can use Safari for this forum as long as I enter nothing but ordinary text.

Here is what happens if I try to use the "quote" feature. Everything looks normal up to the "preview" stage, but when I post I get this_[quote user="Bugbear"]This Mac is a brilliant piece of kit.[/quote]I'm trying to use Mac / Safari and this post is just an experiment - please ignore it.

I presume that all our lucky readers see the same garbage.

PS: I agree that the Mac is a brilliant piece of kit. Somehow I don't think this particular problem is the Mac's fault.

Yes we do see the same thing, but if I then quote you...

[quote user="allanb"]I have a Mac, and I find that I can use Safari for this forum as long as I enter nothing but ordinary text. Here is what happens if I try to use the "quote" feature. Everything looks normal up to the "preview" stage, but when I post I get this_[quote user="Bugbear"]This Mac is a brilliant piece of kit.[/quote]I'm trying to use Mac / Safari and this post is just an experiment - please ignore it. I presume that all our lucky readers see the same garbage. PS: I agree that the Mac is a brilliant piece of kit. Somehow I don't think this particular problem is the Mac's fault.[/quote]

...it all sorts itself out again [8-)]

Not what my dad used to say [:)]

It's not your Mac, many moons ago I used to post on here using a Mac with no problems.  It's the forum software, it's not fully compatible with non-IE browsers, and turns quotes posted using Safari or Opera into gibberish.

[quote user="Cat"]

It's not your Mac, many moons ago I used to post on here using a Mac with no problems.  It's the forum software, it's not fully compatible with non-IE browsers, and turns quotes posted using Safari or Opera into gibberish.

[/quote]

I am posting this using Opera.

The reply page does not show any text formatting option and I have no smilies to click on either. The reply box is minute.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Cat"]

[/quote]

I am posting this using Opera..

The reply page does not show any text formatting option and I have no smilies to click on either. The reply box is minute.[/quote]

and this is through Firefox, my usual browser. Much better [:)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Hey Bugsey Baby!! You could always get yourself a PC, they work fine whatever browser you have [6][6][6][Www][blink]

Even got smilies and the quote works well too [;-)][I]

Nice bike! Is it Japakneez?[8-)]

[/quote]

So does my beautiful Mac................[:D][:D]

Smileys and quotes no problemo avec Firefox.

Japanese ?, you must be joking, I'd walk first.................

English (bought in France) Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (ABS)

A couple of years ago the online connection to my bank (Banque Postale) wouldn't work with Safari, and I have been using Firefox. I recently noticed that Safari works with it now. Perhaps Safari is making converts; I hope so, because I find that Firefox is slow, and the latest update seems to be even slower.

May we hope that the forum will become compatible with Safari one day?

By the way, Cat: the reply box is indeed tiny when it first appears, but you can enlarge it by dragging the bottom right corner. At least, with Safari/Mac you can.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

Hey Bugsey Baby!! You could always get yourself a PC, they work fine whatever browser you have [6][6][6][Www][blink]

Even got smilies and the quote works well too [;-)][I]

Nice bike! Is it Japakneez?[8-)]

[/quote]

So does my beautiful Mac................[:D][:D]
Smileys and quotes no problemo avec Firefox.

Japanese ?, you must be joking, I'd walk first.................
English (bought in France) Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (ABS)

[/quote]

I bow my head in shame about the bike at least!![:D]

Still not sure about blokes in dirty macs though, not after wot me mum said?[8-)][blink] I'm still not sure how she knew?

Archived