Complete France Forum

Local searches when purchasing !

Wayne Marsh

All planning permission is on the Mairie's notice board. It is put up and any of us can complain about any aspect of it. Sometimes things are stopped or have to be changed, however, as long as a new building's distance from you is legal, I don't think that they would take into account any loss of view.

I don't really know how much responsibility the notaire has where such things are concerned really. I wouldn't depend on a notaire for such a thing, or informing clients about proposed motorways, or TGV lines etc etc.

The notaire is responsible for collecting taxes.

The notaire is not responsible for "searches".

You do not say how long you have already lived in your property. Is it not possible that planning permission was granted after your completion?  Nothing remains the same and one must be always prepared for new builds. However, it might be worth looking at the plans to see if  a compromise solution is possible.

Baz

[quote]The notaire is responsible for collecting taxes. The notaire is not responsible for "searches".[/quote]

Forgive me if I'm wrong Pucette but doesnt the notaire also have to ensure title, therefore there are searches just nothing about proposed developments.

Bob

I'd be happy to forgive you for being wrong but even happier to discover that you are right?

In principle the vendor should furnish deeds that state that the property is theirs, and that is as far as it goes, afaik. No searches.

I have come across cases of land being sold that didn't actually belong to the vendor at the point of sale; while it was a little messy it was all sorted amicably.

[quote]I'd be happy to forgive you for being wrong but even happier to discover that you are right? In principle the vendor should furnish deeds that state that the property is theirs, and that is as far a...[/quote]

My experience would confirm that Pucette is right. One property we bought had some land that appeared to belong to someone else. The Notaire simply asked the Vendors to confirm that the actual owner was happy to transfer a rental agreement to us. Verbal confirmation received, Mte Notaire was happy (so, thankfully, was the owner of the land).

Archived