Complete France Forum

Evacuating the soak away

AllezAllezAllez

Hmmmmm, I am in the process of fitting a new fosse and as is the case with most things we have gone around the houses 5 times so far but this has informed our progress. My French friend tells me that all water that falls off my roof, falls on my land etc should remain on my property BUT everyone in the village has pipes either showing or 'secret' that take water to the ditch at the side of the road. This is of little legal help to you but you may have to visit the Marie for advice.

Beware of discharging grey water into roadside fosses as these are currently being checked when the property fosse septique is done by the local commune technician. It may be a long while before they get round to you,but you will required to divert the waste into your tank and they will send you a letter which then has to be done before the next visit. In some properties waste discharging into the roadside can be actual raw sewage as we found to our distaste when viewing a property for a client.

If you need to pump out the soakaway, there is something wrong. Either its not big enough, perhaps it was sized for one 3000 litre fosse but not extended when the others were added. It might be that its not the right type for the soil conditions, perhaps the fosse was not emptied in time sod the drains have become  blocked.iThere is nothing wrong with putting rainwater into the ditch, in fact it should never go anywhere near the fosse, but draining the fosse output into the ditch, or a neighbours land is a no no. Is your village up to date with its inspections?. In due course you will be served with a list of things that need to be done to put things right. Perhaps you could hang on until then, or if you can't waiy you will need to get the experts in yourself.

HI many thanks for your responses.  You kindly asked some questions, so here are the answers;

- The soak away is 100 m2 and deemed suuficient in size by the Environment agency who thoroughly inspected the installation at stages.

- The soil is clay and limstone and does not drain efficiently.

- A collection chamber has been installed at the edge of the soak away with submersible pump to evacuate water, but we have not started this yet because we were waiting for a convention de servitude from the neighbouring landowner to dig a pipe into the ground and run water down hill to a forest.

-Unfortunately the landowner has now refused us the right to pass his land with an underground pipe.

Not sure where to put water?

Hope this clarifies.

Kind regards, Ali

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar problem, a narrow road is between the barn and land which is on the edge of a lake the owner of which raised issues as to my water entering his lake in which are fish as a '' Cash crop '', the Sanitation Dept's solution was, pipe from barn across the road to septic / filter / collection hole with pump then back across the road to a community ditch there after filtering into the lake.

My fosse is 3000 with 25sq.mt filter so your's would be about right.

ps farmer still not happy.

Archived