Complete France Forum

Income tax return

CeeJay

"a) Who must make a tax return in France ?

• Everyone domiciled in France for 6 months and 1 day, whether or not they have any earnings. All income must be declared, whether from France or overseas sources.
  • People not domiciled in France but who have income earned in France or if they own one or more properties in France. "

Can anyone state if the above statement that anyone not domiciled in France and who owns a house in France has to make a French tax return is correct, even if no generated income is involved?

I am surprised to hear that because it has not been my experience after five years of owning a house in France.  My house is owned through an SCI and after the SCI was registered, I received a tax return from the local French tax office.  I went to see them in person at the Hotel des Impots and explained that the reason I had bought the house in the name of an SCI was entirely to do with inheritance LAW (not tax) and that I would not be letting it, so it would have no income.  The fonctionnaire simply aid that the tax return was a mistake, he updated his records to that effect and he told me that it would not be necessary to file a tax return in future.  That was four years ago and I have never received another one.

Archived