Complete France Forum

We are currently purchasing a house and my husband has estranged children from a previous marriage.  We have been trying to work out the inheritance laws and have considered a Tontine plus looked at all other options.  We have recently discovered that when we married (in Mauritius) we had a 'Community of Goods' clause on the certificate.  This means that ALL of our possessions are jointly owned, therefore, in the event of say my death, my half (including the french property) automatically goes to my husband and vice versa.  Has anyone else heard of this and has it overcome the inheritance laws for them?

Trisha

Please talk to a good Notaire (ie the one involved in the property at least) we on this list are not qualified to answer such questions BUT I have this very sneaky feeling that the French have this view that French law superceedes all other law and so if you have a property in France it will come under French law if one of you dies. I doubt that even in the UK anyone would accept a contract made in another country unless ratified by a UK will.

I have decided not to die so the problem will not affect me . Actually we took loads of advice and even went back and checked it recently when told on this list that the info we had was wrong, it is right, so this proves to me that a good well grounded Notaire is the best one to speak to.

If you are going to be resident in France then French inheritance laws apply to all your property in France and all other worldwide movable assets.

There are many facts about this in the archives so I suggest you search for them. They will tell you a lot but at the end of the day a Notaire is the person to tell you the correct facts about your personal circumstances.

Many thanks for the concern, we too were really sceptical about this but we have been discussing it in depth with a French notaire.  It appears the French also abide by this Community of Goods law.  I was just surprised as I'd not heard of it before so wondered if others had.  Probably we were just lucky that it already shows on our marriage certificate but we are getting it thoroughly checked out. 

Archived