Complete France Forum

Name that Dog

Hoddy

[quote]I suspect you are right Dick because I think that all racehorses have the official birthday of Jan 1We'll have to wait for Miki to confirm though[/quote]

Yes Gay and Dick,

All horses share the same birthday, Jan 1st. So a horse born in January will be around 11 months older than a December (rare I would imagine in the racing game but I am no expert in horse breeding, only an expert in helping poor bookies!) of the same year foal but on Jan 1st next, both will be yearlings.

Watch how many of the mares are put to stud in February, gestation of a horse is 11 months, so if they can get a foal to stud in January or February, they should then hopefully have the horse more mature for the yearling sales or as a flat race horse, pretty up to scratch and ready as a two year old.

Doesn't always follow though, that the "older" horse will be the stronger, especially with the jumpers, as they have plenty of time to prepare for their career, unlesss the horse has the initial look and breeding for both (flat and jumps).

Geoff Lewis was a master at getting his two year olds ready as was the chap with the red shirt and black tie whose name flipping escapes me for the moment !! I can see his face, craggy and weather beaten, whizz with 2 year olds !

edit.. Got him, Jack Berry was the trainer I was thinking of.

A rose by any other name ?

About 40 years ago my father bought a Lab gun bitch, Field Trials winning parents etc etc. Her registered name was "Black Goon" but the KC cert was so badly hand written that from day 1 with us she was known as Coon and naturally responded to that when called. Oh for such innocent days. 

John

not

Archived