Complete France Forum

Translating documents

Rob G

We will be moving to the Paris area in the next 2-3 months. I am aware that there are various documents for which we will need to get hold of official translations (e.g. birth certificates, marriage certificates etc.). Can anyone tell me:

(1) Where I can find a full list of the documents we need to have translated?

(2) How do I go about finding an officially accredited translator who will do a good job and not rip me off?

Thanks,

Rob G

Hi

We moved to Deux-Sèvres in April 2002 (admittedly not Paris!) and have done all the ususal bureaucratic things - Cartes de Sejour (no longer necessary), re-registered car, entered health system, changed driving licences, gone on to electoral register etc - and we have never been asked for transalations of any of our documents!  I understand different areas have different requirements so it may be worth asking locally to ensure that you do actually need them.

regards

Su

www.inchocks.co.uk

The Mairie for the your particular arrondissement can also provide a list of translators. When our daughter's birth was registered in Paris in the  16th they did not ask for translations of any documents, but for our other two born outside of Paris we had to supply translations. It seems that with some officials and some Mairies in Paris they are so have used to dealing with foreign papers that they no longer ask. 

Basicially if they ask, you will need translations of birth and marriage certificates for the whole family.

However as you don't need to change your driving license and as a Carte Sejour is no longer required I'm not sure why you would need translations.

regs

Richard

Archived