Complete France Forum

Divorce in France

Porth

My I preface this by saying that wife and I are not getting divorced.......we have been through that before and have the scars both financial and others.

Briefly a friend of ours is a UK national married to a UK national but have lived in France for many years. The marriage took place in the UK. There are no children by this marriage but from previous marriages there are.

They separated some two years ago sold their house and have lived apart.

There is some considerable difference between them in years and the Husband has now petitioned for divorce in France.  Is this possible please and can the French courts apply French divorce law against UK nationals who are living in France.  I thought (and I know nothing) that UK law and not French law applies to divorce.

I think I may be wrong.  Please can someone help for we are supporting our friend and have to go in front of the Tribunal very shortly.

kind regards and thanks in advance.

I would say that all french residents fall under french law.

I know of people, british nationals who have divorced here. I am sure that it is done as the french require a divorce to be done though. I can't remember there being any particular problems about this. It was friends of friends and I feel pretty sure that they would have mentioned if it had reached nightmarish proportions.

Archived