Complete France Forum

Firstly you must check all facts with a Notaire.

The following applies to Europeans (non French) who own a property in France but are not French citizens.

If you are a home owner in France, on your death your survivors will be liable to tax. There is no way of avoiding tax being paid by children but there is a way of the surviving spouse avoiding all tax on all worldwide assets. There is a complication if there are any children from earlier marriages.

Basically you and your spouse need to enter into a new marriage agreement - Commaunité Universalle - under the Haig Convention. It is a simple process and does not require the disclosure of property value, assets etc.

Make sure, when you speak to a Notaire, that they are aware that you are not a French national. When my wife and I did this recently we has two quotes from Notaires. The first was aware of the convention but not the special part for non French. He would have required details of all assets and was quoting E1500. The other Notaire in St Foy le Grand was fully aware of the situation, spoke perfect English and charged less than E600.

No publicity on this forum but if you have problems send me an email and I'll let you have the Notaires name.

Archived