Complete France Forum

Are there set notaire fees for land purchase in France?

Athene

We are buying land with building permission for two houses ajoining our present house. Is there a set scale for the notaire's fees or is it a case of so much an hour for work done and all the appointment times plus more for the letters written relating to this purchase as is the case with a lawyer in the UK i.e. a licence to print money?

Also I was surprised to learn today from our notaire that we, the purchasers, shoulder all the legal expenses for the sale and the purchase and  only the land surveyor's costs are split between the vendor and ourselves. Is this what happens normally?

I would very much appreciate any advice on this!

Notaires are, in effect, government officials, and work to a set scale of fees.

"I was surprised to learn today from our notaire that we, the purchasers, shoulder all the legal expenses for the sale and the purchase and  only the land surveyor's costs are split between the vendor and ourselves. Is this what happens normally?"

Yes, that is standard practice in France.

[quote]Notaires are, in effect, government officials, and work to a set scale of fees. "I was surprised to learn today from our notaire that we, the purchasers, shoulder all the legal expenses for the sale...[/quote]

Many thanks for your replies! It is really helpful to be able to get advice like this! I think this site is just great!

Archived