Complete France Forum

Tribunals

Patf

Has anyone gone to a tribunal to settle a dispute (in France)? Our insurers are refusing to pay the cost of a motor accident which resulted in the engine being wrecked. The say the damage to the engine was not a direct consequence of the accident. Husband wants to " fight it" and go to a lawyer and appeal at tribunal.  Any idea of the procedure and costs? Pat.

Bite the bullet and forget it. Even if you win you'll have significant fees to pay which might not be covered in the ruling. It'll take ages to go thru the process plus you'll have loads of hassle and worry. Just isn't worth it IMHO.

Fritz and Lizzie - thanks for the comments and I'm against it myself. Language would be another headache. But otherwise what to do. The repair would cost about 3000 euro which is about the value of the car. Pat.

As a last resort you might try and get your garage to give you a quote and an 'opinion' on cause of damage. Then go back to your insurance agent, apologize for being English, show him/her the quote and suggest that he/she might be able to negotiate some sort of compromise. You would be very grateful and would, as a consequennce, be happy to recommend him/her to all of your friends, etc.

This, "I am very sorry and apologise for not understanding the French system" approach worked very well for me when URRSAF tried to get me to pay a rather large penalty for not paying my health contributions on time...

Archived