Complete France Forum

How does an English resident arrange insurance for an event in France?

Paolo

Hello to anyone who understands French insurance, I have a question for you....

My friend, who lives in England, is having a wedding reception in a sort of museum, La Maison du Vin, in France. The person who runs the museum told my friend that she must produce insurance to cover the reception, called a Responsabilité Civile. My question is - for someone who lives in England, how to arrange this insurance? The person at the museum can't give any guidance.

Thanks for any input.

Paolo

Public liability insurance is obligatory for any function where you rent the location here, even your local Salle will demand cover for a simple party or disco. You will find your local insurance agent will do a cover but numbers and info will have to be given. Unfortunately it is usually the person in charge of the event who must arrange cover because of signing the papers etc as they will be fully responsible if anything goes wrong and a claim is needed. Can't your friend fly over on a "cheapie" and take care of this important matter, I know I would if it were my wedding. France unfortunately is an insurance-mad culture and you have no choice but to pay up.

Hi Val 2,

Thank you for replying.

She is flying over next month to finalise things, but she has no idea how to sort out the insurance, and her contact at the Museum isn't able to tell her what to do. So what would you advise - find an insurance agent in the nearest town? I know France is insurance-mad, which is why I am concerned that she is being a little laissez-faire about this. I don't want all her guests to fly out there and be turned away because there is no insurance!

Many thanks,

Paolo

Yes, she could find everything cancelled if it isn't done properly.The museum administrators would insist on seeing the policy is correct before they let any arrangements go ahead. Groupama usually have a variety of different insurances, I know because we use our local office to insure the wooden statues in the village church and the local small museum which aren't normal run of the mill policies,so arranging cover for a reception should be no bother and they will have done this for many a local wedding "do" held in a hotel or hall etc. Why dosn't she get a french speaker (local french teacher at secondary school in UK near her) to write a few notes in both languages so she can ask questions and her details put down on paper first, I know I would go all out to do the utmost I could if I wasn't living locally to the venue.

Archived