Complete France Forum

Moving to France- FASTRACK

Sorry TU but there will be people who fail in everything in life, some did not pass in A to C in their GCSE's - they were on the news as  gov. failures, some got low grades in their A levels, same reason given, most small businesses in the UK fail - for many reasons and probably more return to the UK from France than stay - for many reasons.

France is ruddy hard work, the UK was ruddy hard work. Not everyone can succeed in everything - when I went to school - centuries ago, you could even FAIL your GCE - hard to imagine that but it was a fact.

Trying something is not the same as researching, taking legal advice, buying books and reading forum till you think you know what you want to do - then doing it and finding out that you really did not have a clue and so have to work your butt off to make it work.

Let me know when they have a FASTRACK on flower arranging - sorry don't mean to be rude but...

[quote]Just watched Fastrack on BBCnews 24 where there was an article about those moving back after trying France. Interesting article.[/quote]

I've looked on the BBC website but can't find out about it... anymore info on it?

It wasn't just about those who were leaving or wanted to, it was about those who stayed too.

One family had found themselves in the situation of no work and he had gone back to the UK for work returning whenever. Only he had also found someone else and abandoned his wife and kids in France. She had remained.

Another woman's bloke had left her and her kid and she had remained and will soon be marrying a frenchman.

And another bloke's ladyfriend is leaving as she missed too much and her work and was sick of the isolation and he was remaining.

So it wasn't just about who was going.

They also spoke to some french lawyers and they had a constant stream of brits getting divorced, although frankly from what I see around here, that is a universal trend anyway. People who's relationships were not going so well came thinking that it might be a cure to get away from their previous lives, but it didn't work out like that.

These lawyers also had a lot of clients with problems regarding their properties too.

It also mentioned those who were stuck here as they couldn't afford to move back even though they wanted to.

The article mentioned lots of things and they had a french reporter doing it too. Sometimes Fastrack drives me nuts with it's inaccuracies but this time it was sensible. It said that France was not for everyone. That moving here would likely not mend a marriage that was falling apart. And moving here with little knowledge of what you were getting into was not a good idea either. All in all it got my approval of being down to earth.

It is on this afternoon at 3.30 bst

and tonight again at 9.30 bst on BBC News 24. 

Well a lot of TU's answer sounded like failures of one sort or another to me - mainly regarding communication between people.

I am always amazed to find people who come here with no financial cushion, no real idea of what they will do and no real idea of what they will do if it all goes wrong.

I personally have no problem admitting my failures - I see them as learning sessions and not something to hide and pretend that they never happened.

I did wonder if this thread would have appeared if everyone on the program had had really fantastic results from living in France and no one wanted to ever return to Blighty - but that would have been fantasy.

I take all TV progs with a pinch of salt. As an example, we got so much advice about the way that we bought our house and our personal situation on this board that we made an appointment to see our Notaire and check that she really did know her job - she did, showed us the legal books to prove it and was happy to do so, gave us even more advice for free and we now know what is true and what is not. I actually trust LF more than I would trust any TV prog so it just goes to show.

I will give you the problems with properties, we are lucky but know of others where suddenly problems appear and having to deal with them in a foreign country and all the costs - sorry I can't get to see it, can't watch it tonight - double episode of House and trust me, NOTHING will get between me and my current addiction - why does Hugh Laurie think he is not good looking - he is stunning.

Having just been interviewed for an article in the UK (nothing to do with me living in France per se) I am now worried as just what will actually be written, been here before, say one thing, another appears in print.

Sorry if this is garbled but the page is doing really strange things and the spell check comes up every other keystroke - sick server again I think

I saw the 3.30 one this afternoon and can only say that really some of those interviewed didn't either give it a chance or do their homework properly in the first place. The woman whose husband went back tothe UK to work was the worst case scenario but she has bravely pulled herself together with the help of the french authorities and has now changed her nationality - what a b****rd her husband must have been is all I can say to dump his family like that especially the children. The lawyers in the Dordogne where it was filmed must be rolling in money from all these divorces if we believe the stories they told. Perhaps some more of the stories should be aired on prime time TV to prevent others making the same horrible mistakes and get all the info first before losing everything on a whim.

Actually I thought the article on Las Vegas running low on water was far more interesting than the french article.

Archived