Complete France Forum

French farmers

From what I read on these forums, knowing a French farmer apparently gives the average expat Brit a bit of kudos, extra points toward the much-coveted Brownie Integration Badge.

But how many BIB points would this Pyrenean Mountain Loony earn you?  Bet he had short fingers too. 

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1582955,00.html

[quote]From what I read on these forums, knowing a French farmer apparently gives the average expat Brit a bit of kudos, extra points toward the much-coveted Brownie Integration Badge. But how many BIB poin...[/quote]

Oh thou horrid cynic! Some of us can't help knowing farmers, because:

1) All our neighbours are farmers;

2) All the kids' friends' fathers are farmers.

I can only gain kudos around here by getting on first name terms with the chap who runs the dump.

I don't know about short fingers, but many of the ones I know are missing fingers or parts of fingers - I suspect I may make further progress toward my advanced BIB only through voluntary amputation of a digit or two.

This chap does sound rather interesting though. How 30 gendarmes could fail to get him out of the house I do not quite understand - and why does the paper not expand on this fascinating point? Did he simply refuse to move? Did he stand at an upstairs window and hurl things at them? If so, why did they not simply shoot him? Or did they, in fact, not bother to turn up and simply found a quiet field gateway in which to park up and have a nap as a couple of lads I came across a few weeks ago had done?

I only know farmers too (eeek!)

Nice touch at the end of the article.

The idea is to donate the unhinged 'writings' of this guy to some sort of psychiatric facility. After all, those endless prints of bucolic scenes and jugs of flowers offer no stimulation whatsoever to those who are mentally ill.

I can only gain kudos around here by getting on first name terms with the chap who runs the dump.

I think he would get you a point or two on the "I'm not at all pretentious, and I mix with real working folk" part of the BIB, so I would advise continuing effort on that front.

Did anyone spend any time on the moral dilemma of whether the scratchings of an unhinged mind could be considered as art?  Me neither. 

"...scratchings of an unhinged mind " - this could be applied to many artists, from Van Gogh to the modern so-called artists who present ugly/offensive objects as works of art. And win money prizes for them. Also some writers eg ? Burroughs,  Virginia Wolff, T.S. Elliot. Pat.

"...scratchings of an unhinged mind " - this could be applied to many artists, from Van Gogh to the modern so-called artists who present ugly/offensive objects as works of art. And win money prizes for them. Also some writers eg ? Burroughs,  Virginia Wolff, T.S. Elliot. (Pat).

But they were 'artists', or 'writers' - they were aiming to create art all along. This poor guy was just going crazy, and now one manifestation of that has been appropriated by other people.

I'm surprised they didn't make an installation of his dead mum that he had had buried under the stairs while they were at it.

[quote]Which part of TS Eliot's work is ugly or offensive, then? Or Virginia Woolf's for that matter (note Sps).[/quote]

Well, it’s a personal opinion, but having had "To the Lighthouse" for Eng Lit O level, I find that's a book that’s pretty offensive. On the same basis, “Jane Eyre” and “Macbeth” make me want to gibber. Scarred me for life, that qualification.

I was merely being facetious. I'd agree that really that VW could be said only to have offended my sense of fun. Mind you, I don't find William Burroughs offensive - I quite enjoyed his books - though I think I would agree that he was probably derranged. Didn't he shoot his wife through her head whilst trying hit an apple she had balanced on it? He got off too. 

Tresco said:

"I'm surprised they didn't make an installation of his dead mum that he had had buried under the stairs while they were at it"

I'm just surprised that French burial laws are so liberal. Buried under red tape, yes, but under the stairs...?? Maybe it's a Pyreneean thing?

Wonder if the farmhouse was subsequently bought by a Brit.

Dick, Trescoand Jond - I was using the phrase "scratchings of an unhinged mind" to apply to the writers, not "ugly/offensive" which applied to the artists. I found Virginia Wolff's novels vague and confusing and TS Eliot's Wasteland a jumble of indecipherable references. I had a job once nursing schizophrenic patients and some of them spoke more sense than the above.( Tongue in cheek. ) Their art was fascinating and very expressive. Pat.

Not sure why having a farmer next door gives any sort of kudos. Just think of the mess, the noise, the smell. And the cows can be quite unpleasant too.

Well, I like Virginia Woolf. Though don't forget she met her end by walking into a river - hardly the sign of a well-balanced mind.

Archived