Complete France Forum

Legal Advisor

Loopy Lou

Hi,

Could you recommend to me a Legal Advisor (and/or Financial Advisor) that you have used?  I am still based in the UK and would like to take advice before I make the move.

If there is an advisor that you would avoid, please PM me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Loopy

Dear Ron,

Legal - the correct purchase contract, wills and inheritance, business set-up (uniquely, I want to run gites )........

Finance - insurance, bank account, budgeting, personal finance.........

I am divorced with 4 grown-up children (the youngest is going to university in September) whom I have been bringing up on my own for the past 17 years.  I want to give up the rat race and move to France to run a gite business.  I have been planning this for the past 5 years and have been reading the various forums (Living France, Total France, Lay My Hat) for years.  I speak reasonable French - I can hold a conversation that is not just superficial.  I have lived as an ex-patriate before in interesting countries and want to live abroad once more before I get too old.  It's my turn now.

So I'm not totally naive with rose tinted glasses.  I know I will be taking a huge gamble and that is why I would like some professional advice before I embark on this adventure.  The gites will be my sole income, although I plan to take a TEFL course so that I can be an English language tutor as well (I have old-style A level English and French from the 20th Century!), or perhaps I could teach French to the English.  I am determined to make a go of living and working in France.

I will now await comments pro and con!

Loopy

Hi TU,

Yes, that's what I want.  No favoritism - they will each get a fair share of my old age care and my debts!  I've told them to shove me in the most expensive home they can find when I become an old hag (what do you mean "become" I hear them cry).

LL

[quote]Dear Ron, Legal - the correct purchase contract, wills and inheritance, business set-up (uniquely, I want to run gites )........ Finance - insurance, bank account, budgeting, personal finance........[/quote]

LL

Well if you have been following this excellent Forum for the last 5 years you will know how:

The French system for buying a house works; How to make a  will in France, how  inheritance tax and tontine clauses work and setting up a business.

For finance, you will also know how to get car and house insurance and open a bank account, you will also know the Income tax system and rates, the Health system and charges and the taxes that a homeowner has to pay, and all without getting out of FAQ's, well almost

As for budgeting and personal finance depends how much your nearest and dearest drive you to the drink

Archived