Complete France Forum

Deed of Partage Selling a property after seperation

zulfi

My long term partner has moved back to the UK with the children. We now wish to sell our house in France.

We purchased the property and declared that we were married. We have been living together for 26years but never got married just changed our names.

Will this make a difference when it comes to the sale? How do we split the proceeds? Should I change my status as I am remaining in France for the moment.:

[quote]My long term partner has moved back to the UK with the children. We now wish to sell our house in France. We purchased the property and declared that we were married. We have been living together for...[/quote]

See a Notaire before you do anything, as your situation is covered in pitfalls. That is the only advice you should take in these circumstances.

I'm not sure what difference being married makes unless its an inheritance issue.  Unless you bought en tontine, in which case you really need to see a solicitor as apparently its very difficult to force anyone to sell in this case as noone actually owns the property outright until the partner dies.  However, assuming you've agreed to sell up, doesn't splitting the proceeds depend on the split you bought it with in the first place? 

As far as changing your 'married' status goes, doesn't this have all sorts of implications regarding taxes, at least?  (might get into trouble if you've received allowances you're not entitled to) Or does it make no difference to your tax allowances whether you're married or not?  You'll probably have to inform the tax office now that your partner and children are no longer living in your household, I would imagine.

I do agree you need to see a solicitor but sometimes it helps to air some of the issues on a forum so you know more about what you need to ask about!

Archived