Complete France Forum

Sandals and sox.

I've found the fitting website for all you, mainly, British guys who commit this sin!. Ladies, are your men committing this fashion faux pas?.  Check this out. sandalandsoxer.co.uk  Sandals and socks....NEVER!!.

>>>Ladies, are your men committing this fashion faux pas?<<<

Actually that's one thing that my man doesn't like at all.

He was brought up in Africa where men are always bear feet in their 'fellies'.

When he returned to settle in UK, the one off putting thing he found which defines an Englishman in the summer or abroad : men in Sandals and Socks!!

This site might be more in line with Australian culture (I see in another topic that wen is an Aussie). I was going to post the link in a topic about facial hair, which seems more or less obligatory for a certain brand of British person in France, but had lost it at the time (the link, not the hair).

http://www2.b3ta.com/gash-or-tash/ (don't look if easily offended)

Never mind male sandals and socks - the other day in Carrefour we saw an English couple and she was wearing  a tee shirt thingy, no bra, a long unflattering skirt and velcro type sandals and grey mens type socks. No spring chicken either. This is the sort of thing that gives us brits a bad name for no style at all!

We went out for a pre match lunch - there is a couple(mid 50s I suspect) who frequent the same restaurant often at about the same time on a Saturday, as us, sometimes with their son. This time they all turned up in what I can only descibe as 'bags' the 'boys' had very long baggy, long, T shirts and knee length shorts, Mum has a T shirt material dress, knee length, no shape, lily white legs ........real style icons.

Last week we went somewhere different and were treated to a loud conversation in what I think the speaker thought were upper crust tones, the topic was how the son, who was shortly flying to La Rochelle, would have to rent a car, and how he would be able to explore the long EAST coast of France ................

"facial hair, which seems more or less obligatory for a certain brand of British person in France"

I'm dying for a fuller expounding on this....what constitutes the certain brand - and is it a good thing or bad?

As Will knows they have an East coast in Manche - but perhaps that doesn't count. I have been known to cause confusion by telling people I was brought up on the North coast of England.

>>>I have been known to cause confusion by telling people I was brought up on the North coast of England.<<<

that the little bit of Northumberland going back in to Scotland... Isn't it?...

What's the bit facing North in Norfolk? Is that the East Coast?...

Then that bit facing North onto the Bristol channel in Somerset is it called the West Coast...?...

Big ear to ear smiley!!

>>>.....upper crust tones, the topic was how the son, who was shortly flying to La Rochelle, would have to rent a car, and how he would be able to explore the long EAST coast of France ....<<<

Well depend how he sat at the table... If sat at the table facing south then east is OK! from his perspective (WOT!!)

My geography teacher taught me that when you face North, East is always on your right...

Now ... it's just a matter of finding which way is North!

Later on in my life, my Father-in-law informed me that this North/South divide thing so much talked about, was just utter tosh! It was only a way for the English to find the direction in which to kick the Welsh home....

West is Wales and East is England!

Well... he was not a very PC man...

>>>Steel toe caps ,socks and shorts............then you can say Yuck!<<<

Just received an Email photo of son-and-heir dressed exactly like that!

Bearded, shorts, steel toe-caps and socks, hiviz jacket, geologist hammer in hand, hard hat helmet, wide happy grin across grimey face!...

When I last saw him in April, he didn't have a beard!... Quite a shock !!

Never mind the yuk factor of men in shorts and socks!... HAHAHA!!!

[quote user="missyesbut"]>>>Steel toe caps ,socks and shorts............then you can say Yuck!<<< Just received an Email photo of son-and-heir dressed exactly like that! Bearded, shorts, steel toe-caps and socks, hiviz jacket, geologist hammer in hand, hard hat helmet, wide happy grin across grimey face!... When I last saw him in April, he didn't have a beard!... Quite a shock !! Never mind the yuk factor of men in shorts and socks!... HAHAHA!!![/quote]

gosh thats sureal, you have just described my hubby, (except he has a lump hammer not a geologist one)[:-))]

[quote user="Opas"]

[quote user="missyesbut"]>>>Steel toe caps ,socks and shorts............then you can say Yuck!<<< Just received an Email photo of son-and-heir dressed exactly like that! Bearded, shorts, steel toe-caps and socks, hiviz jacket, geologist hammer in hand, hard hat helmet, wide happy grin across grimey face!... When I last saw him in April, he didn't have a beard!... Quite a shock !! Never mind the yuk factor of men in shorts and socks!... HAHAHA!!![/quote]

gosh thats sureal, you have just described my hubby, (except he has a lump hammer not a geologist one)[:-))]

[/quote]

I thought he was a lorry driver.  Why does he carry a lump hammer? 

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

EGG Sackly SB.  And nothing like village people Dick.

Come to think of it Opas, what does Mr O wear to work.  Tell me and I will give you my honest opinion.  Is he like the yorkie man?

[/quote]

My mum always bought him yorkie bars as a stocking filler at christmas!

Depends which job he is doing , Trucker.........well er steel toe caps , high viz vest and work pants, you know the ones , with the crease permanently sewn in, levi tee shirt and a cloth cap incase it rains!

He has just applied for a new job,a bearded version of Del Boy springs to mind[:'(]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"][quote user="Opas"]

[/quote]

I thought he was a lorry driver.  Why does he carry a lump hammer? 

[/quote]

Ask any mechanic!

Archived