Complete France Forum

postponing completion

crdale

we are in the process of buying in France and all was going well until the begining of the month when we found that due to the fact that we have a footpath going through our house in the UK(that was not picked up by our seaches when we bought the property) our buyer quite reasonably will not complete until it is sorted I have just found out that the diversion which the council is happy to do has to go to consultation and that will take time maybe six months.

When I still thought it was a minor problem I managed to get our completion date put back a month can I delay it again please help

Chris

[quote]we are in the process of buying in France and all was going well until the begining of the month when we found that due to the fact that we have a footpath going through our house in the UK(that was n...[/quote]

You must ask your Notaire, although most don't favour multiple delays. It is really up to the Vendor, as they are at liberty to claim that you are in breach, if you don't complete as agreed.

Did you have a "subject to sale of UK property" clause in your Compromis? That way, you would at least be able to recover your deposit.

But, talk to the Notaire first & explain the situation - write if necessary, don't email, ideally telephone.

Archived