Complete France Forum

Brown field sites

So as not to intrude on someone else's thread about land use, I thought I'd start another thread.

What are brown field sites called in France?

I do notice a lot of mixed use here, especially on the edges of towns.  For example, houses are found next to sewage plants, bottling factories, tyre retailers and so on.

When the light industrial use is over, such as when a plant closes down, can the site then be used for anything including housing?

Can the zoning process be relied upon to tell you what it can be used for?

Worst case scenario, say you buy a property next to one of these installations and, when it closes, you think "hooray!" and then they open a déchetterie service on it?

Can and do such things happen?

Hello S17

I cant answer this but know that there seems to be a fairly regular re-zoning excercise in villages.  Where once land is protected as brown or even green field (these have referecnes rather than names like the english method I understand), this can simply be changed  it would seem without too much consultation so your scenario would seem very likely.

P x 

[quote user="sweet 17"]So, unless you have mega bucks and can buy the whole site, it's very risky to buy a house next to a disused light industrial site of any description?[/quote]

YES Definitely. It could revert back to industrial, or become site for social housing, travellers or a lotissement.

Also if you buy a house with fields on all sides unless you buy the fields expect them to be built on at some stage.

Thank you, dear, kind Poppy.

I am sure it will happen but I am giving the househunting a rest now as I have to prepare for my pilgrimage with Gemonimo to Compostela.

However, will be back househunting, if I survived the journey, in middle to late October!

Unlikely to be a mosque where I am looking.  Not enough muslims, I don't think.

Anyway, I think the cockerels will make enough noise to be an alarm call in the mornings without the muezzins using those loudspeakers of theirs to wake everyone up and ask them to face Mecca!

As I also have very little sense of direction, it won't do them any good because I'd have a job finding where East is in order to face it!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

As I also have very little sense of direction, it won't do them any good because I'd have a job finding where East is in order to face it!

[/quote]

Oh dear! and you're going on a pilgrimage with Gemonimo to Compostela [:'(]

Let's hope one of you can read a map [:P]

So as to not hijack this thread, have sent you a PM

Archived