Complete France Forum

Inheritance for a brother

Lilly

An odd situation has arisen for our friends who were just about to sell their house, the buyers are likely to pull out because they have got spooked as they are married without children and because if they were to die at the same timeshe under no circumstances would want her brother in Australia to inherit house and chattels needless to say they were intending to move and retire to France it would seem from what I have heard that he would be the next inline of succession, does anyone know if there is anyway to insure that this wouldn't happen, I do feel that the answer is likey to be the same as for children but I thought I would check

p.s these buyers after 6 weeks of negotiations and termite reports etc asked this question at the signing of the compromis!!!! The termite report was carried out on the instruction of the Agent immo so to not complicate the compromis b******s i think. Needless to say the compromis has not been signed.

I read somewhere that the rigidity of French inherency laws could be overcome by the drawing up of a trust and assets could be disposed of as per the deceased's wishes.

I did ask about this on here a few weeks ago but with no response.

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-tax-advice/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2334

Try this website link, it's about trusts and  may help your friends.

Brothers and sisters in no way have the same status as children. You cannot disinherit your parents or your spouse or your children, they are the héritaires réservataires, but brothers and sisters don't count. If you die intestate and as unmarried/widowed, childless parentless person they would get it, though.

Archived