Complete France Forum

Consumer rights

Toonblade

Hi all,

i've just visited the Uk for a couple of days and on my return i had a problem with my car due to buying something for it in the uk.

because i am a resident of france now i was wondering if this would affect my consumer rights in the UK and affect how i could go about claiming compensation??

any advice would be greatly appreciated

paul

[quote]Hi all, i've just visited the Uk for a couple of days and on my return i had a problem with my car due to buying something for it in the uk. because i am a resident of france now i was wondering i...[/quote]

Being resident in France has no bearing on your consumer rights in the UK. I doubt if, under any circumstances you would be entitled to "compensation", unless you could prove loss (over and above the value of what you bought). If you take the "thing" back to the supplier, then he will probably a) refund you b) replace it or c) repair it. Whatever, his liability is (broadly speaking) limited to the value of the "thing" (or rather, what you paid for it). You are unlikely to get a) consequential loss (read the suppliers t's & c's)  b)the cost of transporting the "thing" or the vehicle back to the UK or c) your time (or a 3rd parties time) paid for.

What "compensation" are you after.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. BTW, IANAL.

Accepting all that has just been said, you might have a very slim chance if you purchased the "thing" specifying exactly the vehicle it was to fit and the purpose that you required it for. If you were then sold the wrong "thing" you could have some possibility of claiming more than the market value of the thing.

This has nothing to do with the manufacturers Ts & Cs, more the negligence of the supplier.

However, I would not rate your chances too high.

Brian.

hi guys,

thanks for the replies, my problem is that i've filled my car with "dirty fuel" as the mechanic kindly informed me as he took 1400euros from me, yes, i haven't hit the zero key once to often "1400! euros plus i had paid 306 euros the same day for another breakdown caused by this dirty fuel. I'll try my luck (at the moment it's all bad!) but i'll not hold my breath

and be warned, i used a supposedly "very reputable" high street supplier for my fuel!!

cheers

paul

[quote]hi guys, thanks for the replies, my problem is that i've filled my car with "dirty fuel" as the mechanic kindly informed me as he took 1400euros from me, yes, i haven't hit the zero key once to often...[/quote]

Nay chance! Assuming that you could prove that the fuel came from that particular outlet, you would also need to prove to a court that the fuel caused the damage. Using a French expert (the mechanic) would be very expensive, assuming that the retailer didn't agree to his testimony in the first place and why would they.

Chalk it up to experience.

Just as an aside, I only buy UK Supermarket fuel when desperate. My Jaguar simply wouldn't run on Safeway petrol.

If your car was filled with dirty fuel which is very unlikely in the UK, then write to both the garage and the fuel company as your car would not be the only one  affected. If the fuel company has had other complaints then you are more likely to recieve payment for the repairs. If you can prove the fuel was dirty and bought from a particular garage and have the receipt then also write to the local Trading Standards office who will certainly look into the matter.

Nick, the good news for you is that Safeways are long gone. But it is very strange, as if you go to a UK fuel distribution depot you will often see many different companies tankers including the Supermarkets filling up from the same tanks.

Baz

Baz,

You're right about all the various companies loading from the same depots, but the major "brand names" have an automated system that injects their own particular additive into the base product as it is being loaded so ordinary petrol/diesel becomes their "own brand" petrol/diesel.

I've always found I get at least 25 miles more from a full tank if I've filled up at a major oil company site as opposed to a supermarket or non branded smaller retailer.

John.

Archived