Complete France Forum

Implications of being unemployed

Rob G

We're moving from the UK to Normandy at the end of the month. I am the sole breadwinner in my family, and will initially be unemployed for however long it takes to find suitable work. I'm just wondering whether this is likely to cause any particular problems or complications?

For example, when wishing to buy something that requires signing a contract (could be a mobile phone for example), if you're asked for your employment details and you say you're "sans profession" or "en recherche d'emploi", will this cause problems? Are there any other obstacles we should expect because of being unemployed in any area of French life?

Thanks,

Rob

Er one of the implications of being unemployed in Normandy will I suppose be a lack of dosh another one is that all the retired brits will will treat you like a social leper. And my god if you lift a finger to work for a bit of cash you will immediately be struck by a bolt of lightning sent by the stop black workers and your remains put into a unmarked grave. Anyway I should do it I don't think you will have much trouble with telephones ect 10% of France is unemployed. Good luck.

I'm not sure what work you'd be looking for, but I'd guess that one of the implications of being unemployed in France is that it isn't easy to find work, especially if your French isn't that good. Like I said, I don't know your situation, but some people come over thinking that finding a job will be fairly straightforward!

[quote]We're moving from the UK to Normandy at the end of the month. I am the sole breadwinner in my family, and will initially be unemployed for however long it takes to find suitable work. I'm just wonderi...[/quote]

"and will initially be unemployed for however long it takes to find suitable work."

Rob, I seem to recall from your earlier "researching"  posts that you were moving to France to take up a post with a French company, did that fall through?

If you are a fluent French speaker you will have a better chance of employment and some English migrants have been successful, but with high unemployment amongst the native French, if you are banking on a job in the short term I really think you need to do a reality check unless you have unlimited funds,  particularly as you are bringing children with you.  Unemployment pay is low, but I think you can still get some form of family allowance here, but others will know better.  Good Luck, you will need it

Hi Ron,

I'm still pursuing discussions with one french company, which I'm hopeful will lead to something. If not, we have enough cash to last for a little while and I will do my utmost to get some work, even if it's a short-term stop-gap measure.

I appreciate the notes of caution. As for a "reality check", this is a long-considered move rather than an ill-considered one. There are some risks in life that are worth taking, and we're determined to make it work one way or another.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

If you are actually unemployed already and claiming benefits in the UK then you can transfer your claim to France and continue to receive job seekers allowance locally. Speak to your UK job centre. (be prepared for them to initially deny all knowledge of this - its not a commonly known or used facility) There is plenty of info on the DSS website on it. Once equipped with the appropriate paperwork signing in France is really easy, you can do it once a month via the web. Its limited to about 3 months but it keeps the wolves from the door at least for a bit longer.

Trying to sign on in France from scratch might be considerably more difficult!

[quote]I'm not claiming unemployment benefit in the UK - I can't, since I resigned from my job voluntarily. I'm therefore assuming that I won't be able to claim in France either?Rob[/quote]

You should still sign on because although you won't get money they will pay your stamp which is important because you will need two years contigious NI payments to get your E106 for your initial health cover in France.

[quote]OK - so how do I sign on in France?Rob[/quote]

Sorry I had assumed from your first post that you were still in the UK as that is where you will have to sign on for your NI stamp. You also want o get it back dated to your last working day, or more to the point the day after. You will not get any money but you should be OK for your E106 unless you already have one.

OK, to clarify:

- I'm still in the UK but will be in France as of this Sunday.

- I already have an E106 - I got this by phoning the Dept. of Work and Pensions in Newcastle and going through various details on the phone.

Is there something more I need to do in the UK before I leave? If so, what? (I only have tomorrow to do it!)

Thanks,

Rob

Archived