Complete France Forum

Offer of adjacent land

Carolski

We have lived in our house here in dept 17 for over 18 months and have been welcomed and accepted very warmly by the local community. We now have to have a new Fosse Septic installed and are at the stage of having appointed a local artisan and awaiting for a visit any day now from the Syndicat des Eaux. Our problem is that where the Fosse is to be located there is not enough land to have the cheaper version so our very kind 80 year old neighbour has offered to sell us (very cheaply) part of his field next door. Problem is, he says that the Notaires fees can be very expensive and we wonder whether it's almost not worth the cost and hassle and whether we should just bite the bullet and pay for the more expensive Fosse.

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Carolski

We bought a small piece of land next to ours and the notaires fees in comparison to the price of the land were high. Well it isn't actually the notaire who gets most of the money it is the government as there are land registry and other taxes to pay, which have minimum sums. The notaires themselves don't get other than what I considered a reasonable amount of money for their services. The vendor got a very small sum as the land was a euro a square metre.

I haven't got any info with me but we paid at least £600 maybe more for a relatively small piece of land and we felt that it was a very good buy in spite of the fees.

We have just bought the plot of land adjacent to our property, we paid 3,000euros and the legal fee was about 1,300.  when we questioned this the notair showed us the official scales, percentage was higher the lower the cost.  I think that the Notaires fees were 300, as if we had split the costs with the vendor then we both would have had to pay it

Archived