Complete France Forum

Murders and your children

According, to official UK crime statistics shown the other night on BBC TV, whilst the level of knife crime amongst teenagers over the last five years has increased, the incidence of gun crime has correspondingly decreased. So that the overall risk of  a teenager victim of knife or gun crime has actually remained constant over this period.

A large part of the problem is the British media and how they tend to sensationalise everything. Correspondingly, the French media tend to undereport and an example of this was the recent mass shooting incident in Marseilles, which I only learned about through this forum and the British media. Although, I was in the VAR at the time and purchased the VAR-Matin every morning I cannot recall it being reported !! 

I agree about the media, although it has just been on the news that someone has been charged in connection with the murders, (although he did hand himself in and they told him to wait) I do not read the local papers anymore as it is so depressing, its all about crime in mine. There is so many statistics on these subjects that its reported all the time, and unless you experience it, it will just pass most people by, I find when we are in France time flys and its only when we return that the realality kicks back in. Look foward to a long holiday from all this soon.

Archived