Complete France Forum

Help!

Rascalb

We have just learned that the land all around us is under threat from a quarry enterprise. They have bought from the farmers but not the houseowners as yet. We are aware that the company will not quarry within 400m of our land - which is very close. We have around 3 hectares and believe they are only paying 2000 euros per hectare - nothing for property. Does anyone have experience of this situation and could offer any advice. We are obviously panic struck and about to lose around £50,000. We have joined an association to fight this but it seems a tenuous situation at best. Thanks

Unless somebody on the forum has been in an exactly the same situation I would strongly recommend you get some professional legal help with this. Do not under any circumstances use an English solicitor who “works in France” somebody did this recently on this forum and had serious problems, only use French people here and pay for a translator if required. I am not sure what the French name is of the person you require but hopefully somebody here will. I think I might go see the notaire that I dealt with when I bought the house. He may turn out to be totally the wrong person but he should be able to point you in the right direction. In fact I suspect any notaire would. Hope you get it sorted.

One of our neighbours (who is also on the council) tried to start up a

stone breaking operation next door to us. Not the same thing, but not

disimilar.

There should be a public enquiry. If it is in progress (check with your

mayor) then make your concerns known to them - residents can count for

a lot, particularly if there is going to be a lot of noise or dust. If

it has already taken place, then contact the Prefecture and find out

under what conditions they are permitted to work - if nothing else you

may be able to stop work if they break these conditions. With the help

of others (most of the village, as it turned out), we were able to nip

our little problem in the bud. Above all, move quickly. Good luck.

Archived