Complete France Forum

Long Term Rental Rights?

LuBeeLu

Hi

We have been renting for the last 24 months ... really quite by accident as our original intention was to buy .. but circumstances made renting a good option.We signed a 36 month lease with the options to give 3 months notice at any time. Now we are our last year of renting ... and reading a few bits and pieces on the site. I think we need to look at the future and what might or might not happen. At the moment I dont envisage us wanting to leave at the end of the 36 months as we really like the place and the area and the French people we rent off are very nice. Where is the best place to look up the information ... and I'm sorry to add .. an English version. (Ouch !!! .... we are trying but on legal matters I would hate to get it wrong)

Thanks in anticipation

Val

If your owner wants you to leave then he/she must give you notice three months before the end of your lease, likewise so must you. If notice is not given then the lease is automatically renewed for a further three year period. At least that's as I understand it.  Best thing is to have a word with the owner or his/her agent.

It's not like the UK, where the owner can simply choose to end the lease. In France, they have to justify it (i.e. they need to show they intend to live there, sell it or some other serious reason), so it can be complicated but 9 times out of 10 (at least and especially if it's a Loi Robien place) you'll simply be able to roll-over at the new rent (there are laws which establish what that shall be).

There will be an ADIL (the departmental version of ANIL*) not too far from you. You can click through to your department and find their address from this map:

http://tinyurl.com/fzvv3

Depending where you are in France you may find that your ADIL office can respond in English (but you've been living there two years and still don't speak the language?).

ANIL have lots of information (in French, of course) and their home page is:

http://www.anil.org/

*Agence Nationale pour l'Information sur le Logement.

[quote user="chessfou"]Depending where you are in France you may find that your ADIL office can respond in English (but you've been living there two years and still don't speak the language?).

ANIL have lots of information (in French, of course) and their home page is:
http://www.anil.org/

*Agence Nationale pour l'Information sur le Logement.

[/quote]

Val said that they were trying to learn the language but lacked confidence in legal matters.  Not everyone has a talent for languages and I don't think that superior remarks are really appropriate.

Anne

Thanks for responces ...

Dont think we have any cause to worry. We hope to be here for a few more years. Chatting to owners and it seems they had a grant to renovate the place so they have to rent it out for 9 years.

Regards

Val

Ah, so it's not "loi de Robien" (which is for new places and saves the buyer about 50%).

Maybe it's la loi Demessine. Are you in a fairly rural location? That also involves a minimum rental period (total, for the owner) of 9 years (and saves the renovator 25% I think).

Archived