Complete France Forum

Civil partnership vs PACS

Espresso

I think I can probably guess the answer to this, but would a UK civil partnership be recognized in France? I've searched high and low - here and generally on the internet - but can't find anything.

PACS unions can be entered into by non-French people. Am I right in assuming you need to be resident in France (ie, more-or-less French) when you want to set up a PACS?

As far as I'm aware you have to resident to qualify. I do know that if you get through all the hoops you are then allowed a base allowance of 30.000€ before you start paying tax, this tax is then aplyed on a sliding scale depending on your age. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to get married fast!![Www]

I had this checked (A colleague of my partner who is UK tax solicitor with an interest in private international law) and UK Civil Partnership will not have any effect in France: it will not be considered as being equal to anything.

The reverse is not true: A French PACS is automaticaly equivalent in the UK to a CP (with the side effect of revoking any UK wills you might have).

PACS can be contracted in France by 2 foreigners (don't know about the requirements in terms of residency) and in the Consulat Général de Londres if at least one of you is French (I am, my partner isn't).

Am I the only one to think the PACS is so "impersonal" compared the UK CP?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks very much for the replies. Ronan, no - you're not the only person to think PACS is a bit impersonal. It's quite widely seen as a bit begrudging. PACS deals are signed and sealed in little offices, with a clerk and that's all there is to it. A no-frills business deal. The French authorities also make it difficult for anyone (journalists have tried) to find out how many PACS agreements have been made. It's all a bit 'swept under the carpet'.

Archived