Complete France Forum

French Identity cards

Lollie

Mine son is now 17 and has his own bank account and cheque book here in France.   He is at the age where ihe is sometimes asked for a piece identite when out and about,  I am not happy that he carries his UK passport with him when out and about, at what stage can he apply for a french id card?   He has just started Premiere, after starting school here in 5eme.  He was given a social security number when he worked this summer vacation.  Should he just go down to the Marie?

Lollie

It is down to age and length of residency (as Albert says, you need to be a French Citizen to get an ID), for example, at 13 Daniel (now 6) can apply for citizenship, provided he has lived in France for 5 years (we arrived when he was 3). But, as I understand it, that 5 years must be up before the child is 18 - which I suspect will not apply to your son.

Failing that, anyone can apply for citizenship, provided they qualify. I also suspect that adult EU citizens don't, because they don't need to (be citizens).

Surely your sons easiest solution is to carry a certified copy of his passport. Your Mairie will do this for you.

Archived