Complete France Forum

Tennants left without leaving forwarding address

Fumanzoku

The bills are still in their name though. I'm on then other side of the world, not sure what to do. If the bills are unpaid, what happens ? Will the utility companies track them down, or make me liable. The tennants did this on purpose so

as to avoid paying, they also didn't pay rent for the last two months to use up the deposit, so I can't take it out of that, and anyway the bills won't be sent to me as before. Anyone been in this situation, know what to do ?

Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems Fumanzoku.

You don't say how you know that the utility bills are still in their name. Perhaps a neighbour is forwarding them on to you?

If you physically have them and know the various reference numbers can I suggest that you contact the utility companies as soon as possible. You should do this by phone initially and follow it up as soon as possible by recorded delivery mail (it's the only way with any French correspondence). Explain the situation to them or else you will soon find that all your utilities are cut off which will not be a very good situation if you get more tenants.

I used to rent out property in the UK and begrudged every penny of the 13% fee I paid to my agents but it's at times like this when you're abroad that you can really appreciate them.

Best of luck.

Benjamin

ps Don't double post as the prefects will be telling you off[kiss]

Archived