Complete France Forum

Divorce: The next step? procedure?

Janb

The UK court has just awarded me a jointly held French property in which my ex-husband has been given 56 days to transfer the property to my name. I have all the legal documents but neither my solicitor nor I know what the next step is.

Jan

[quote user="Janb"]The UK court has just awarded me a jointly held French property in which my ex-husband has been given 56 days to transfer the property to my name. I have all the legal documents but neither my solicitor nor I know what the next step is.

Jan
[/quote]

You, or your Solicitor will need to contact a Notaire. All property transfers in France must be handled by one (and tax paid!).

I agree with Dick on this one and I as a lawyer could point you in the right direction but I would not under any circumstances (any) give you advice.

I do hope you will not mind me for saying so but orders made by the English Courts are enforceable in France and also the other way around.

If your Solicitor is worth his salt or his fee he should know and if he does not then surely all he has to do is to pick up the telephone and phone for advice and guidance from the Law Society, that is what they are there for.

Make him earn his fee

regards

Archived